Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Zurich introduces mandatory VFR training, soon mandatory flight plan to follow

europaxs wrote:

It is just another atmosphere at an international airport….

Agree. And I would miss Zurich if they push us out, even if it is just to Dübendorf.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

@Mooney_Driver – okay no real good option indeed.
My club (founded by Lufthansa staff) was based at Düsseldorf EDDL. We had our planes parked between B737, CRJ and A320 in the Lufthansa maintenance hangar, where we had our clubroom as well. It was great there and without any issues. We called ground when we wanted to pull our aircraft out on the apron to avoid conflicts with pushbacks from the gate – all was easy. Then came the economists and found out, what a square meter in the hangar has to cost and that was the end of our Düsseldorf-era. It didn’t count any longer, that we are a “Lufthansa-club” since the sixties. The only good thing was, that we found a new home only 10 Kilometers away with EDLE, which is open every day 06:00 – 22:00 LOC. But sometimes I think about the good old days at EDDL. It is just another atmosphere at an international airport….

Last Edited by europaxs at 19 Feb 21:28
EDLE

europaxs wrote:

How about Birrfeld? Isn’t that an alternative for ZRH at least for the VFR-traffic?

Most VFR traffic of the people who live west of ZRH is there already. However, they have a LOOOOOONG waiting list for hangar spaces, and no availability for outside parking (stationed airplanes). Also, no night flight and no IFR, Weekend only from 10am on, no immigration (customs against pre-announcement for intra Schengen flights against surcharge), and so on.

For those like me who live 3 minutes from LSZH, my average trip time by car to Birrfeld is between 40 Minutes and 2 hours (depending on traffic which is horrible during rush hours). My wife used to work in Wettingen, her commuting time was between 35 minutes and 4 hours. Most of the time, LSZR (Altenrhein) which has IFR, Non-Schengen Customs and night flying is the same driving time (approx 1 hr reliably). Prices are similar to ZRH however, only the slot problem is not present there. Whether they have availability in hangarage or outside parking I don’t know.

The other alternatives are Speck Fehraltdorf (which has huge membership fees as well as massive restrictions on the use of your airplane) as well as Lommis, both of which are short grass runways, often not usable during winter, daylight only, Schengen only against surcharge.

So for me the situation is clear: If LSZH closes for small GA and Dübendorf does not succeed in replacing it, that would be the end for me. Until then, I try to make the best of what we have at ZRH. I hope we can drag out the end until after my retirement….

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 19 Feb 13:21
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

How about Birrfeld? Isn’t that an alternative for ZRH at least for the VFR-traffic?

EDLE

Vladimir wrote:

Isn’t there a rule in Europe saying that every airport has to accept GA? And then they come up with schemes like landing tax equal to an engine overhaul so that you don’t even consider landing there?

Actually, that is exactly what keeps ZRH and GVA (plus others) from kicking us out just yet. It’s been a fight with the FOCA for years. I don’t know about Europe, but Switzerland has this rule. Otherwise, GA would have been gone there for 20 years.

Some airports have reached exemptions from that, so has Munich, Frankfurt and some others. IF there are adequate alternatives, that is even understandable. The trouble is, there are no such alternatives in either Munich nor Zurich and Geneva.

The question is, can the schemes they are employing now, e.g. taxes, but primarily slots, be attacked under this. As AOPA and others have been trying for years, it appears that it is difficult and a loosing battle.

GA for ZRH can hope for Dübendorf. A change of mind of the powers that are at ZRH would require a major miracle.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

ah, ok, apologies

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

Or what have I missed?

Medical emergency. Which you could read in the thread.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

Or what have I missed?

The rest of the thread?

EGTK Oxford

… and #64 of that thread shows a picture of a – 2t plane at EDDM …
Or what have I missed?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Vladimir wrote:

Do you have a link?

Yes, I can do a search on the site for you…….

https://www.euroga.org/forums/flying/1384-flying-into-eddm-any-tips#post_99373

EGTK Oxford
47 Posts
Sign in to add your message