Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Youngest woman around the world (Zara Rutherford)

oh my…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Oh well another 2 digit numbering support / fundraising / social media team.

The problem is that nobody reads printed media anymore so companies have to do other stuff to get visibility, and they sponsor these expo projects. I get the same in electronics; the whole business has shifted to exhibitions, which as a result are exploding, going from 1-2 a year to about 20.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t want to say, that I’ve predicted this but acutally I did …

After this attempt we will see a 15 year old doing this attemp and then it doesn’t take long until the first “solo” circumnavigation of a 13 year old is announced.

Hopfully this developement is stopped rapidly and like in sailing “youngest” type of world records are no longer recorded and reported on.

Germany

There is a limit to solo flight set by minimum age to hold an ICAO compliant PPL.
There was a fatal C172 crash with a very young girl who needed extensions to reach the rudder pedals, and had to be accompanied by an instructor, crossing the US.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Min age to fly with a PPL is 17.
You can go solo at 16, but the 16-17 portion is flown (a) solo and (b) on the instructor’s license.
Unless there is a UK-airspace-only restriction on the 16-17 part, one could do a RTW trip at 16.

It’s a joke, of course. Another massive logistics / extreme flight support / PR exercise.

Administrator

Unless there is a UK-airspace-only restriction

In theory, you could fly on instructor licence outside “national airspace”, ask anyone who did his PPL in Jersey, how was his solo XC lunch in Dinard…

Not sure about RTW though

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Feb 22:38
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

There is a limit to solo flight set by minimum age to hold an ICAO compliant PPL.
There was a fatal C172 crash with a very young girl who needed extensions to reach the rudder pedals, and had to be accompanied by an instructor, crossing the US.

Oddly enough, there’s no minimum age for dual flight instruction. My club was contacted by a 12-year old who wanted to start flying training. We directed him to the local gliding club, but also did check with our national authority who said it was fine with them and up to us to decide.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Maoraigh wrote:

True – but the records we are talking about here are done in microlights, not in certified airplanes. Therefore the pilot doesn’t need an ICAO compliant PPL (to the opposite: In Germany, e.g. an ICAO compliant PPL does not qualify a pilot to fly these aircraft…).

I’m pretty sure one could find a national microlight association in Timbuktu that has no problem with issuing a license to a 12 year old…

Germany

there’s no minimum age for dual flight instruction

In the UK, true, but lessons logged before age 14 do not count towards the PPL.

how was his solo XC lunch in Dinard…

Prob100 done by agreement with the DGAC.

done in microlights, not in certified airplanes

OK, but then you need a permit from almost every country. I would love to know how these were obtained on the last flight. Must have taken ages.

Administrator

That might be the reason why the last flight was done by a Belgium Pilot in a Slovakian registered ultralight (Slovakia seems to make a difference between ultralights and microlights…). But Sam can surely comment on this…

In general many Microlight pilots are “quite relaxed” on the fine print of licensing (rightly so in my opinion) but obviously if you do a record attempt you need to fullfill everything by the letter as Guiness is not so relaxed if there are questions about the legality of the undertaking.

Germany
This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message