Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aviation contacts in Seychelles/Maldives/Indonesia/Taiwan?

I’m leaving from Puerto Rico for a RTW trip in my JET-A DA42. Thanks to lots of EuroGA members for giving me guidance about how to reach from Europe to South Africa. I’m however left with a gap in planning: I need to get from South Africa to Australia, and from Australia to Japan via Taiwan.

Does anyone have aviation contacts in Seychelles/Maldives/Indonesia/Taiwan? I’m on a limited budget, and looking to avoid paying expensive handling fees or trip planners where possible.

@eal will know about South Asia

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Check with AOPA if they have any local organizations there.

ESSZ, Sweden

Hi Mike,
Congratulations on undertaking a RWT in a light aircraft. It will be the experience of a life time. :)

My knowledge of International process in South East Asia is now dated. The last long distance trip l did was Northern Thailand to Bournemouth UK in 2019, pre Covid, so conditions now will be quite different.

Here is a dated but for the most part still relevant guide for arriving and departing Thailand. Here

As you move further East from Europe, your options for self handling at an International Airport of Entry decrease exponentially, and you will unfortunately have to budget USD1-2k per stop for the handling and landing permits. India in particular is a paperwork nightmare. There used to be two Interntional Airports that allowed a form of self handling, Nagpur (VANP) and Patna (VEPT), but if this is still permissible, be prepared to send 6-8 hours navigating the various signatures and fees required to get through the airport. In the end I chose Ahmadabad (VAAH) and paid around USD700 for a competent handler organised by G.A.S.E a very effective permit and handler company IMHO. They cover Middle East all the way to Australia.

@Sam_Rutherford recently (June 2022) transited through Thailand via Chiang Mai (VTCC) and Phuket (VTSP) on a ferry flight to Australia, and he would be able to give you actual data.
I am very curious myself what the current situation is since I am planning another UK trip next year and will face the same planning challenges, so please let us know your experience and fees at each airport via the Airports database here for others to follow in your flight trail. ;)
If you do end up coming through Thailand, let me know if you want to make any domestic stops at local airfields and I can help you with contacts.

Good luck.

Cheers – E

Last Edited by eal at 12 Jul 02:46
eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

In my (very) limited experience with the jet, I can only say that Malé VRMM is a nightmare, even with pre-arranged handling. If it has to be Maldives for a fuel stop, VRDA is very welcoming and accommodating.

EDIT: Sorry, my bad. No fuel in VRDA!

Last Edited by Alex at 12 Jul 06:01
LEBL, Spain

@Sam_Rutherford recently (June 2022) transited through Thailand via Chiang Mai (VTCC) and Phuket (VTSP) on a ferry flight to Australia, and he would be able to give you actual data.

Rutherford demanded the deletion of his “account” here recently, which was done, so he won’t be getting notifications and can’t post here or receive or send PMs. He then went on to cause me some admin hassle. I don’t know why. Probably something related to here but I can’t see what.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Rutherford demanded the deletion of his “account” here recently, which was done, so he won’t be getting notifications and can’t post here or receive or send PMs. He then went on to cause me some admin hassle. I don’t know why. Probably something related to here but I can’t see what.

Does anyone have contact info for Sam, or would be willing to pass along mine? It would be great to get his insight, given his recent experience.

Alex wrote:

In my (very) limited experience with the jet, I can only say that Malé VRMM is a nightmare, even with pre-arranged handling.

Was it a nightmare in terms of fees? Or time? I have a lot more time than money! Mostly want to know if I can avoid mandatory handling.

eal wrote:

If you do end up coming through Thailand, let me know if you want to make any domestic stops at local airfields and I can help you with contacts.

That would be great! Do you know if there are any inexpensive options for CIQ? That seems to be the tricky part for Thailand. Once domestic, looks like lots of great affordable options for airfields!

You could try the BBC

EAL is the real expert here. He flies a Jetprop all over the place.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

That would be great! Do you know if there are any inexpensive options for CIQ? That seems to be the tricky part for Thailand. Once domestic, looks like lots of great affordable options for airfields!

Unfortunately for Thailand CIQ, it is a case of slightly less expensive CIQ options rather than inexpensive.

Assuming you are arriving from the North, Chiang Rai, (VTCT) which has Jet Fuel, may be cheaper circa USD 1k, instead of circa USD 2k at Chiang Mai (VTCC).
Same goes exiting from the South. Hat Yai, (VTSS) is slightly cheaper and less hassle than Phuket (VTSP), however as a tropical beach destination Phuket is beautiful.

Last week a C172 flew up to Phuket from Singapore. they CIQ’d at Hat Yai for USD1k.

In the Capital, Bangkok, if you have the range for CIQ there – Don Muang (VTBD) should be slightly cheaper than Chiang Mai or Phuket.

All of the above have Jet-A1 from a bowser, but you should arrange fuel uplifts via somebody like World Fuel as most of these airports cannot handle cash or CC.
Using a fuel uplift provider is something I would recommend in any case for a trip such as yours. It removes the necessity of transporting lots of USD’s and give certainty of supply.

Cheers – E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

1k for CIQ, insane!! Are you familiar with fees and procedures in neighboring countries (Indonesia, Malaysia, Timor, etc.)? I’m trying to plan the flight economically and fearing that 1k a stop is the going rate.

15 Posts
Sign in to add your message