Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Yes, there are weather limits for GA flying

I think guys this 1.5km/3km is heavily country dependent.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Patrick wrote:

Though I already listened to the ATIS again on the ground – I believe it was the next letter (i.e. either revised or just the next regular interval) and it was still 10 km or more.

It could also be that the prevailing visibility was 10 km (or more) and the visibility in your direction was 5 km. Variations in visibility don’t have to be reported if the lowest visibility is at least 5 km.

Also, there is a difference between flight visibility and (observed) meteorological visibility at ground level. Your flight visibility could well be 5 km and the meteorological visibility 10 km at the same time!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Having gotten tired of all the rain in Kristiansand over the last two days, today I decided to fly from ENCN to ENTO to visit family. Not that the weather was so much better in Sandefjord…

Departure TAF was 9999 -SHRA SCT015 BKN030 and TEMPO 3000 RA BKN008 SCT020CB. The radar image did not however indicate any CBs.

Destination was 9999 -SHRA FEW006 BKN020 TEMPO 1000 RA BCFG BKN004 SCT015CB

The last METAR before departure made me expect landing on RWY36. I had a decent alternate in ENRY.

Upon departure from ENCN the weather was decent but I soon entered the clouds and remained there for the rest of the trip at 5000’. En route I did not observe any sign of CBs. When I managed to pick up the METAR for ENTO two thing were clear: there had been a change of runway, and the actual ceiling was lower than the TAF. I positioned for the ILS18 and was handed over to the tower who assured me that the lights were “on 100%”. I saw the approach lights just before the minima but they almost disappeared again before I finally acquired them and the rest of the runway environment.

So yes there are limits for GA flying. They are layed out in the legislation. I would not have done this flight had I not been reasonably current and had I not had a good alternate, in this case ENRY where the worst part of the TAF was 3000 RA BKN008. I also had 0 pressure to get there, I was by myself (no passenger to worry about) and it provided me with valuable training.

LFPT, LFPN
63 Posts
Sign in to add your message