Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

WX-10A Stormscope failed

Our WX-10A Storm scope has stopped working. When the test button is pressed there is no indication on the display.
When the unit is powered on I briefly see the screen light up in the + pattern but the test function indicates nothing and when we fly near TS there is no indication. When I turn the power off to the display I see a small oblong light that displays in the centre and fades away.
I have checked each connected between the antenna, processor and display and all looks good.
Does anyone have any experience with this type of failure?

TB Jockey
YCFS, Australia

Curious what the avionics shop will find. Keep us posted.

KHTO, LHTL

Most likely the antenna or processor. You need to have the antenna & processor bench checked or swap them out with known working units and see if that solves your problem.

Don Valentine

Most likely the antenna or processor

Are there any other parts, besides the antenna(e) or the processor?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There are 3 parts to the system. Display, processor and antenna.
I have checked each component for the obvious such as connections etc. My avionics shop has no testing facility for the components and tells me the parts have to be sent to the USA for repair. I have rung a few shops here in Australia and they have said the same.
I haven’t been able to find any one as yet with like equipment to swap parts to eliminate the exact piece of equipment at fault. I’ve got 2 more shops to talk to today.

Last Edited by TB_Jockey at 23 Nov 21:54
TB Jockey
YCFS, Australia

A TB20. owner is the US put me on to Pacific Avionics at Bankstown airport in Australia who are agents for 3M. I delivered the display and processor to their shop and they have been able to test and find the problem. It was a capacitor that failed and a burnt out resistor in the display unit. They are waiting on the parts and I should have it back in the new year. It was good to find a local company who had the information and test procedures for the unit.

TB Jockey
YCFS, Australia
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message