Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Winter flying - First attempts with the GoPro

The weather in our part of the continent showed itself a bit erratic on Saturday and Sunday. Thankfully, I managed to squeeze an hour of flying into it and I took the chance to play a bit with my latest Christmas toy, the GoPro. I’m still lacking some of the gear (such as the prop filter) so it’s far from perfect, but I thought the scenery was nice enough to share the result here after all.

The flight took two friends and myself to our home town of Kleve and surroundings.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Our newest group member (not yet signed-off on the taildragger) also got a new Go-Pro, and set it up on a flight with me. He is trying out the editing tools in this video. I’m not sure I like the Go-pro effects. I use a Panasonic Lumix FT2 compact digital on movie mode.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

That’s fantastic scenery!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I can’t see either video :(

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

It would be useful to know the device, O/S, etc, etc.

Administrator

Nice videos!
What video editing program do you use? I`ve taken some GoPro footage but cannot find any easy video editing software (have only tried GoPro´s own so far)… or maybe it is that I`m lazy and it actually takes a lot of time to do nice video clips which includes music, some text and transitions as can be seen on many flight movies. I would imagine it shouldn`t be that difficult to do some basic videos so any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.
Thanks.

LSGL (currently) KMMU ESMS ESSB

There will be many different views but I have tried seemingly all the cheap ones – Pinnacle, Premiere Elements, etc – all bug-ridden piles of crap IMHO, once you try anything remotely nonstandard – and have settled on Sony Vegas which I picked up on a special offer for about £100 and then used to start an upgrade route to get the “Pro” one Vegas is a powerful but very usable program, seemingly free of bugs (bugs in editors are irritating because a crash halfway through a 20 hour render is…..) and fairly usable without reading any manuals. Google is good enough for digging out features, but there are “free” video training courses on DVDs (mp4 files).

BTW there is no “prop filter”; it is just a grey filter which runs the shutter slower. You can always still see the prop. The only solution is a more upmarket camera with a controllable shutter speed. 1/100 or so does the job, for 2400 rpm and a 3B prop.

Administrator

iPad did not display the videos – PC works fine

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Thanks for tips on video editing software, will dig further into them and try.

@Patrick, what did you use?

LSGL (currently) KMMU ESMS ESSB

There’s an audio cable available for the GoPro which allows you to record ATC and intercom audio. I think it adds value to the video if you mix in some cockpit audio…

For IFR flights it’s nice if (parts of) the panel are visible on the video. But it might be hard to achieve, with light coming in through the windscreen…

I’m thinking about buying the Garmin Virb. It automatically adds GPS data to the video, and other information like (barometric) altitude, magnetic heading and G-forces.

22 Posts
Sign in to add your message