Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Winter flying - First attempts with the GoPro

I can’t see either video :(

iPad did not display the videos – PC works fine

Thanks – I’ll check with the iPad once I’m back home. It surprises me because I thought that youtube would convert their uploaded videos in a standardized way for device-independent results…

Btw. on this flight I had the chance to use for the first time some of the gear I bought from your web shop, Peter, about a week ago, like the iPad kneeboard. Thanks!

It would be useful to know the device, O/S, etc, etc

GoPro 4 Silver, attached to the windscreen with a Delkin FatGecko Mini suction cup mount. I like the shape and the angle options better than the original GoPro mount. The actual suction cup I think is actually the same. I’m editing on a Windows 7 64bit HP EliteBook if that makes any difference.

What video editing program do you use? I`ve taken some GoPro footage but cannot find any easy video editing software (have only tried GoPro´s own so far)…

Good point. I’m only just beginning so I guess we are in a similar position.

The GoPro software is just bad.. sooo baad. It tries to force you into a “workflow” that doesn’t allow any deviation from what the developer thought is best for you. I’ve worked with it for a few hours and came across annoying bugs already (for example, you are supposed to add all your clips to a conversion list, then convert them, then edit the actual movie. However, adding a large number of files to the conversion list won’t let you convert anymore. Apparently, because of a lack of disk space (which is nonsense). The only workaround is to use less clips per “Convert all” procedure… which ridicules the entire “Step-by-step” workflow scheme anyway).

This is the first time I ACTUALLY would like a Mac because I’m quite happy with what iMovie offers on the iPad (for free or a price not worth mentioning). None of the Win-based programs I’ve come across seem to be able to match that.

I ended up purchasing Magix FastCut over the weekend, which I used for this video. I’m not very happy with it. It comes with an automatic mode that delivers a template-based finished result within minutes (it automatically selects clips and cuts and blends them aligned with the background music) but that’s not my thing at all. The manual editing modes are limited.

There’s an audio cable available for the GoPro which allows you to record ATC and intercom audio. I think it adds value to the video if you mix in some cockpit audio…

The cable as well as some other items are ordered, but haven’t arrived yet.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Vegas has some good deals on Amazon

here – £23! This is v11 which I have. It was full-priced at about £200 back then

here is v12 – £35

here is v13 – £81

The prices of this stuff have dropped so much that there is no point in using stuff like Pinnacle. I just hope that Sony haven’t “done a Symantec” on it i.e. bloated it and packed it full of bugs…

Vegas has so far imported every video file format I have tried, but if you get a really weird one, you can use Handbrake (free) to convert it to mp4 and then you are done…

My only encounter with Imovie was years ago when I tried to create an in-flight movie, speeded up 25x, by taking thousands of jpegs at 1 sec intervals and creating a movie at 1 image per frame. Quite a few compact cameras can do this, and if you use say 1024×768 then the images are small and you can fit hours’ worth easily on an SD card. The resulting 25x speedup is naturally useful for a lot of stuff, because most flying movies are too boring and need speeding up in (at least) some places. It was a “fun” experiment but was not successful – partly because the programs I tried mostly could not do it without crashing (Vegas and Imovie could) and partly because the result was too “jumpy”. I think professional speedups involve frame interpolation, not just a crude decimation. This boring but useful “proof of concept” video shows a 16x speedup done in Vegas, but that used a semi-pro camera on an antivib mount.

If you search on “Virb” you will find 2 threads on it. It does look more useful, IMHO, not least due to the “bullet” format.

Regarding the Ipad problem, this used to work OK so I wonder what browser is being used? The file format uploaded to Youtube should be irrelevant. The only variable AFAIK is the embed code used on this website to present the Youtube video within the thread. Can anybody else with an Ipad not see the videos; if so please post (or email) all information including the browser type.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I use Chrome as browser – and the weird thing is, I can now see the videos

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Nothing has been changed.

Administrator

Except that I can see what I could not see this morning

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Careful with your selfies out there! Looks like the NTSB has identified the first crash with selfies being a factor.

Read here.

I get

(nothing that a VPN terminating in the USA would not solve but I’d have to get my laptop out for that)

but, reading the article, fairly obviously if you film yourself doing something stupid and then you crash, they have all the pieces (no pun intended) i.e.

• the pilot (or his body)
  • the aircraft
  • the place and (usually) the time

Youtube has loads of GA crash movies, some fatal and some with plenty of blood… I am sure some have resulted in litigation against the pilot by the passengers or their estates.

But you could say the same about bragging on a forum, after some crash, about what you did / didn’t do, etc. There was such a case on one UK site, and when somebody pointed out to the poster that his (seriously injured) passenger is likely to sue, most of the posts were removed.

The key factor is that you did actually crash afterwards, IMHO.

Administrator

I did this with Vegas v11 yesterday, in about 5 mins (plus 30 mins’ googling because I had forgotten how to do basic stuff which I last did a year earlier)

You can full-screen it and see it in HD. Smooth HD playback, especially full screen, needs a top-end computer with a top end graphics card.

Vimeo haven’t removed it yet despite music which is not exactly open-source Probably because the music is rather obscure.

The content (yesterday’s flight) is nothing much but it shows how easily this can be knocked up. The program includes a fantastic number of transitions, special effects, image processing options, etc. and amazingly all those I tried actually seem to work!

The video also shows the difference in quality, prop effects suppression, and motion compensation (provided you don’t go too mad with throwing the camera about; there are limits) between a “prosumer” camera (the Canon G10) and a miniature CMOS camera (the Nokia 808 in this case but most are similar).

Administrator

The video quality of the Canon G10 is amazing! There is no prop aliasing visible at all. Do you remember the settings you used on your camera?

TV mode, shutter priority, shutter 1/120 (OK for 2400rpm, want to go slower for lower rpm).

It was £1500 a few years ago. I think you can get it for 1/3 of that now on Ebay.

Nobody has improved on the sheer quality (in HD) in that price range. I record in top-speed MXP (I think it’s 25 megabits/sec video) and have 128GB of SD cards (2) plus the 32GB built-in, and that does a few hours. In the next setting down, about 15mb/sec so still extremely good (e.g. a typical “Ipad” setting in Handbrake is only 5mb/sec) you will outlast the fuel endurance of any plane, and the larger (not standard) battery runs it for that time too.

And provided you don’t throw it around and don’t zoom too wildly (these are standard movie making requirements anyway) the image stabilisation is rock solid at all zoom factors.

The only drawback is that it is not small, but that’s OK for aerial shooting because it can be left in the plane. I think I have seen cameras of probably similar quality but shorter and lighter, for £1000 or so. But that whole market is sinking because Joe Public is using an Iphone and is happy with it…

You cannot mount these cameras on your head but frankly any head mounted application will result in a crap video, due to the movement and the impossibility of aiming it properly. The result will be acceptable for the intended market of the Go-Pro type cameras. Unfortunately it cannot be externally mounted either because it isn’t waterproof; there are solutions for that.

BTW if Vimeo pull that video, I have uploaded a 50MB .mp4 here but only about 5mbits/sec.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message