Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

When is a flight plan not required for a border crossing?

Those with a CTR, I should think. CTR’s are controlled airspace (C or D, mostly) and flight plan is always required. Even if it be the abbreviated.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Even with my limited powers of observation on a Friday afternoon, I notice that with almost every one of the 36 posts, that the matrix where this concession is usable gets smaller and smaller

I guess it is useful to people who keep doing a particular flight over and over, and it happens to meet the requirements.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Required or not, why would you NOT file FP when crossing FIR? It is a bit like the flight following in my view – not required but certainly improves the overall safety?
When in doubt – file.

Molder
LSGL
I notice that with almost every one of the 36 posts, that the matrix where this concession is usable gets smaller and smaller.
I guess it is useful to people who keep doing a particular flight over and over, and it happens to meet the requirements.

That must depend on one’s average type/style/category of flight. My upcoming grand tour could be done entirely without filing a single flight plan (BE-DE-PL and perhaps a bit of CZ); yet it will be a very unique trip.

@molder is right, though: filing is a small effort and does add value, so why not?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

On Friday I have to fly from Dresden to Straubing VFR.

So I am landing in the same country I take off in, but crossing Czech.

Do I need to file a plan?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Not for day VFR. Even if you landed (at an uncontrolled airfield) in Czech, you wouldn’t need one.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Nope you don’t.

Taking your autopilot to Straubing?

PS: Germany does not require VFR flight plans for international flights. Only if the other country requires a flight plan, you have to file one. The Czech Republic doesn’t require it either for Germany. However, in your case you don’t land outside of Germany so definitely no FPL required. You will stay with German FIS all the time, they have agreements with Czech FIS.

Should a Flight Plan be filed for any flight that will cross an FIR Boundary ..?

My memory from Air Law about a 1,000 years ago, is that it is technically necessary to file a flight plan when crossing any FIR Boundary, although I’m aware of not doing so eg when flying to Scotland from London..!

This has come up today: my mate Andy took off from Siena in the Roma FIR (LIRR) to set off on a VFR flight for Pescara in the Brindisi FIR (LIBB). A flight plan had not been filed.

Roma refused his calls, “remain at your present position” while still climbing in the overhead. Meanwhile, the local ATC would only clear him to fly at 3,000’ (but the mountains are 6,000’ on track). When he asked for higher, they told him to call Roma, who refused him.

This game of ping pong went on for 40mins before he landed back at Siena. Words were exchanged in the TWR, I gather, and the locals suggested to file a VFR flight plan, which he did. The flight then progressed smoothly as planned.

Talking it over this evening by phone, I suspect the issue was because the flight was crossing from one Italian FIR to another, a VFR flight plan was required..?

My mate Andy had expected to have to file flight plans only when crossing an INTERNATIONAL FIR boundary. And to be fair, in France there appears to be no need to file when crossing internal FIR boundaries…

Can anyone shed light on a) is my suspicion that the issue faced today was due to the planned flight crossing a domestic FIR boundary..? And b) is this a local Italian rule (I’m yet to check Italian AIP Differences section..!). Or c) could something else explain this experience today..?

Thanks in advance..!

Yeah baby!
EGTB

If he needed clearance to climb, he was probably about to enter controlled airspace which requires a flight plan. In many countries, an abbreviated flight plan can be provided by radio and there is no need to file prior to the flight.

Check the Italian AIP to see what the requirements are.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 01 Jul 21:52
LFPT, LFPN

My understanding has been that a flight plan is only needed when crossing an international FIR. Crossing a domestic one does not require a flight plan.

They certainly aren’t required crossing domestic FIRs in the UK, France or Germany.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
Sign in to add your message