Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What goes through your mind as you approach minimum on an IFR approach?

Peter wrote:

2 reds and 2 greens

Someone who has never been well below glidepath?

Dave_Phillips wrote:

You’ve also ended-up off the far end of the runway in it.

No, the vis was way above minima on that occasion. And you talk about being bothered to get your facts straight!

EGKB Biggin Hill

Someone who has never been well below glidepath?

Well, it’s not easy when taking photos

Actually that is another answer to the OP, tongue in cheek: where is the camera? But he knows that, which is why so many of my videos are wobbly…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Well, it’s not easy when taking photos

I meant someone who has been above 4 Reds will know the other lamps are White, not green :)

Whoops I did mean 2 reds and 2 whites

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

And I meant someone who has never been above well below glidepath.. Woke up early to see weather degrade so cancelled my MEP test. Should have gone back to sleep!

The GFC700 can in ymthe SR22

Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

Whoops I did mean 2 reds and 2 whites

It would have been more fun if someone had actually photoshopped it to show two greens!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

You might find the guidance in Part-SPA on Cat II minima interesting (or, like me, terrifying!)

ESTABLISHMENT OF MINIMUM RVR FOR CAT II AND CAT III OPERATIONS
…(3)…
(ii) to establish lateral position and cross-track velocity most pilots need to see not less than a three light segment of the centre line of the approach lights, or runway centre line, or runway edge lights;
(iii) for roll guidance most pilots need to see a lateral element of the ground pattern, i.e. an approach light cross bar, the landing threshold, or a barrette of the touchdown zone light; and
(iv) to make an accurate adjustment to the flight path in the vertical plane, such as a flare, using purely visual cues, most pilots need to see a point on the ground which has a low or zero rate of apparent movement relative to the aircraft.

(b) CAT II operations
The selection of the dimensions of the required visual segments that are used for CAT II operations is based on the following visual provisions:
(1) a visual segment of not less than 90 m will need to be in view at and below DH for pilot to be able to monitor an automatic system;
(2) a visual segment of not less than 120 m will need to be in view for a pilot to be able to maintain the roll attitude manually at and below DH; and
(3) for a manual landing using only external visual cues, a visual segment of 225 m will be required at the height at which flare initiation starts in order to provide the pilot with sight of a point of low relative movement on the ground

(b)(2) means that you may have just 4 lights (30 m apart) by which to maintain roll attitude.

Hi Noe,

Was that you in G-SUEI coming back from Southend at about 16:15?

If so I hope it went well.

Stapleford, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message