Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EFIS - is bigger better, or more units better?

Fellow pilots,
I’m progressing toward the holy grail (or holy curse) of becoming a plane owner, and while it’s far from finalized, I am not decided whether this good old aircraft deserve a full avionic revamp – and what is better for a price.
The moment’s question is about progressing toward an IFR capable panel. currently the plane is equipped with a GTN650xi, 225, GTX330 and a DME.
Choices are

• to keep it close to what it is today (let’s take my example of a 80’s TB10), with the helps of 2xGI275 (ATT + HSI) to replace the vacuum driven instruments (TC is electric), and in a second time having an engine monitor (a third GI275 – EIS would make sense) replacing one of the usually found 2 VOR indicators.
    The price of such an update would be ~17K euro (installation 10% included), waiting for a detailed quotation for just 3 small screens.
  • Go berzerk to a full G3X touch. was told that a G3X with the same functionalities – that I am using with an Archer of the club, is about 20k for roughly the same use. It is nice but I wasn’t surprised at all, and at the end even the lean assist is just saying me to lean as I did before – from the fuel flow point of view.

Of course the screen is bigger and somewhat clearer, althouth I didn’t find it that big compared to G1000 of the DA42, and you miss several benefit of having several screens —> redundancy.
With a G3x you also need a backup AI, which may not be an obligation with the GI275 approach as they are mutually redundant on the AI functionalities – and on the TB10 I’m looking at, the turn coordinator is electric.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 20 Oct 07:07
LFMD, France

If the difference is really just 3K, I would go for the G300. I wouldn’t say that “bigger is always better”, but it’s clearer. Now I’ve got used to the G500 in my plane, I really like it.

N74867 is the perfect plane for flying into Avignon. When they tell you to go round the hold 12 times, you just say, “Unable, aircraft carries the legend NO HOLD”.

LFMD, France

Hi John! I love this “placard”. “parking break inop” is also noticeable, for a marketing material taken on Garmin site… Are they targeting the hangar queens? :D

LFMD, France

johnh wrote:

I wouldn’t say that “bigger is always better”, but it’s clearer

Same feeling here. And clear is important whilst in IMC, proof long given in the airline/biz av world.

johnh wrote:

When they tell you to go round the hold 12 times, you just say, “Unable, aircraft carries the legend NO HOLD”
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Hi Greg,

Did you already buy the airplane? if yes, congratulations :) In any case, maybe you want to fly her “as is” for some time to decide what you like, what you don’t like, what you are missing etc. Then you will be better equipped to make a decision.

An engine monitor is a great instrument to have. This is what triggered the avionics update on my bird. I understand your main motivator for your avionics upgrade is to go IFR, not the engine monitor. But if you can install one while you do the upgrade, it is recommended. A primary engine monitor will allow you to remove other engine gauges and streamline the panel. If you are interested, there are some images and a bit of background info on my project in that older post.

Does the G3X has an engine monitor?
If you go dual G3X, it would probably cost you double, correct?

etn
EDQN, Germany

I didn’t buy it yet, but still have to arrange the pre-buy with my futur maintainer.
The IFR is not a strong requirement now, and as I am not sure anymore to be able to retrofit a PA with the difficulties to find a KAP140, 150 or KFC225 working in 14V and in working order. So the IFR is getting more and more outside the picture.
But I still want to get rid of the vacuum driver hardware, and I’m convinced with the use of clear and concise engine monitor along with a fuel flow sensor. There are many way to do it.
I will not go for a dual G3x, that useless for me and much too expensive vs the price of the plane.

LFMD, France

etn wrote:

Yes, optional.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

As Airborne stated, yes.
As a matter of fact, I’ve just received my ordered GDU470 G3X, which with its associated GEA 24 EIS, will replace my dying VM1000 engine monitor… install to start sometime in Nov/Dec.
It will be used as map and engine monitor, nicely complementing my present dual G5/GNX375 panel

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

The G3X is STCd no interface for legacy DME possible. I believe you need the G500 TXi for that with a GAD43E, GI275 is TSOd
But since your not going to drive IFR ..that requirement can be neglected

Last Edited by Vref at 20 Oct 12:18
EBST

So you do have an IR, you do want to buy an IFR-certified (albeit not fully IFR-equipped) aircraft and you do want to sink a lot of money into its avionics. But you are ok if it doesn’t turn out to be IFR-capable, as you can’t find an approved AP for it?

Sounds like you should be looking for a different aircraft type…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 20 Oct 12:34
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
67 Posts
Sign in to add your message