Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What to choose - SkyDemon, Jeppesen FD, JeppView, Garmin Pilot

It sounds like GP has a way to go to catch up with Foreflight.

I don’t know. I haven’t tried FF. It claims to have a worldwide map, but that’s about as far as it goes in acknowledging the existence of Europe.

In defence of GP, I should reiterate that there’s a workaround for approaches, in that the relevant georeferenced AIP charts with ownship position can be shown as a semi-opaque overlay on the moving map or split-screen or full screen. In practice, that’s every bit as useful when being vectored to an ILS as having the iPad mimic the GTN’s map and magenta line.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

@Dave_Phillips wrote:

We have GSR56/GDL88 and consequently can pull up weather, NOTAMs etc on the iPad.

Dave, could you please explain what is the use of the GDL88 in your case ?
I understand GSR56 is Iridium transceiver, and know the GDL88 as an ADS-B in/out unit. In the region you fly, what does it bring ?
Besides, in this combo, who feeds the iPad ?

Now that FF covers Europe both VFR and IFR, I see it taking over. It’s a great product.

FF does not provide useable VFR support at this time.

I only used FF a couple of hours last weekend in NY while doing a cirrus transition course, but didn’t have time to get used enough to its interface. In fact, I kept wishing I’d have the option to revert back to the ones I know (GP / SD) – but couldn’t as didn’t have the plates on these. Actually considered buying them on GP. Not missing it at all now that I’m back

@achima – FF has Jeppesen VFR data for Europe now. What’s not useable about that?

I only used FF a couple of hours last weekend in NY while doing a cirrus transition course, but didn’t have time to get used enough to its interface. In fact, I kept wishing I’d have the option to revert back to the ones I know (GP / SD) – but couldn’t as didn’t have the plates on these. Actually considered buying them on GP. Not missing it at all now that I’m back

That’s very common and natural. People tend to prefer what they already know how to use. The system that they already know will always appear easier to use and simplier.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

That’s very common and natural. People tend to prefer what they already know how to use. The system that they already know will always appear easier to use and simplier.

Agreed, but I didn’t have any “ahah” moments as I had (for some features) when trying to switch from SD to GP. There were several things such as finding airport plates that were much less intuitive than GP (needing more pages / clicks). I was suprised at it given the amount of people that rave avout it. I wonder if it’s just that it has some features that are only available anyway in the US (because flying is generally easier in the US), or if people find that for the same functions the other does, it’s actually better.

I really wanted to like it (especially after seeing the jepp thing), to have a one-in-all replacement, but at the moment for europe flying I don’t think I’d use it at all. I do have GP and SD open on flights, and trying to move to GP only (since it does better IFR), but I’m still somehow used at SD for VFR stuff and just don’t force myself enough to rely on GP for that.

achimha wrote:

FF does not provide useable VFR support at this time.

Agree if one is pure VFR user. If one is both IFR & VFR, then Jepp VFR VAC charts (incl VFR Manual) are cheaper as an FF add-on to IFR coverage (€90) than via a separate Jepp JV/FD Europe VFR subscription (€300).

Although FF is promoting the new Jepp mapping as high-resolution, I find it considerably less optimal than the VFR products on the market such as Easy VFR. FF has a very good detail mapping setting, but refresh is very slow to the point of being not practical in the air.

Jepp JV/FD maps and panel-unit NavData (Garmin/Avidyne) don’t include VFR WPT’s like the VFR products (SD, EasyVFR, and also Jepp’s VFR product??). Same applies to FF since the Navdata comes from Jepp.

I find the Europe VFR products unbeatable for VFR flight planning, inflight tracking, and mapping quality. The comprehensive airfield information, including non-ICAO airfields and VFR WPT’s on the map make in-flight use a breeze. While also very comprehensive, the VFR VAC and AIP info capability is somewhat time-consuming to maintain due to the various data sources and volume. Jepp JV/FD Europe VFR VAC chart and VFR manual coverage is easy to maintain with a short weekly download.

Last Edited by chflyer at 01 Aug 11:34
LSZK, Switzerland

I’m currently trying to switch from SkyDemon to Garmin Pilot currently have 30 day free trial so just testing it at the moment, does anyone know how to view the frequencies for your route in GP I cant find them anywhere! Serious flaw that you cant easily find and get to them. Also what do you think about GP’s new partnership with NATS and having V500 UK VFR charts? If I could find the damn frequencies I would buy it right now, I think its a reasonable price of £190 Per year (inc NATS V500 charts @ £70) especially considering all the great features you get.

Sign in to add your message