Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

For those who fly with just an Ipad :) (shutdowns at high or low temperatures, and GPS losses)

Does SD still run on 32 bit tablets?

The 64 bit ones tend to equate with drawing more power.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Does SD still run on 32 bit tablets?

The 64 bit ones tend to equate with drawing more power.

Not sure, just using my normal new Samsung tablet & phone, no problem with overheating or power.

EGTR

I have had thermal problems with iPads. My original iPad4 was hopeless, the iPad Mini 4 was better. My new Mini 6 gets hot. I bought a FlightAware cooling case for it, with a built-in fan. That keeps the temperature down, though with shipping and VAT it cost $400. But in my plane (TB20) there is an air vent in exactly the right place to keep it cool when strapped to my left knee, so it isn’t really a problem.

Battery life is adequate for a typical 2-3 hour flight. But I have ship’s power in my plane, and I always carry a power brick which is good for 10 hours or so.

LFMD, France

goflysoon wrote:

I am not sure if I am missing something, but find it surprising that pilots seem to continue being fixated on using iPads when it seems that the “shutdown in flight” scenario is a constant worry. It’s a lovely piece of kit (I have one too) but I wonder it it is just a bit too fancy, clever and high-powered for its own good in this particular setting.

The thing (which has been reported several times in the thread) is that some people don’t have any problems with shutdown in flight. It might be that individual aircraft features or user practices matters. (E.g. aircraft canopy/window size, type and location of the iPad mount, the particular iPad model, what software is used and maybe even the individual iPad itself.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

gallois wrote:

Does anybody look out of the window these days?🙂

What good is that for? 😂

ELLX, Luxembourg

I use the iPad 11 pro with FF and indeed when I used it on my knee and in a cheap plastic non official case it would suffer if exposed to direct sunlight and would want to shutdown if it didn’t get cooled off. It having a contact with my leg also seemed to be a problem because that prevented cooling. Since I switched to the official case and started using the yoke mount I haven’t experienced that yet. But usually even on my knee it’s ok. I just have to put it away for a bit to cool off or switch legs and/or put a pencil between it and my leg on one end to create some space and less contact to allow for cooling and to put it out of direct sunlight. Since the planes usually have their own GPS I can just follow the magenta line there in the meantime😜 Haven’t experienced any GPS signal loses yet on either though, and if I did I’d just fall back on radio nav aids. For longer trips I also print out plates, just in case.

I have to say I despise Apple as a company but the iPad pro with the pencil is truly an amazing product. Foreflight can’t be beat either, even in Europe even just for VFR. It’s the best most complete EFB package(on the full subscription) and I can’t imagine not using this combo anymore. Life would suck quite a lot if I had to.

ELLX, Luxembourg

I have a 5 year old Huawei Android tablet which I use for flying. Last week I replaced it by an iPad mini because Skydemon repeatedly got killed mid flight (not enough RAM I guess) and also because I wanted to try Foreflight. Now after the first flight with the iPad I’m quite disappointed. Not only cost it nearly twice as much but also the battery only lasts half of the time of the old one’s.

EDQH, Germany

There are several strategies to maximize the battery life of an iPad. One is to shut down all non-essential apps that run in the background, another to not use max brightness, there are others, Google is your friend. FWIW my iPad Mini 5 lasts about 4 hours, getting the GPS data from the panel via Bluetooth. YMMV.

I don’t fly with an iPad for VFR navigation unless it is over say 80% at takeoff and charging from the plane. My backup iPad is meanwhile at 100% charge and ready to be connected to ships power if put into use. Like those two, my iPhone also has FF loaded and serves as a backup to the backup, meaning three devices run FF in the plane, each supplied by internal GPS as backup and Stratus 2S as primary. However I don’t charge the iPhone in flight, assuming that if it were ever used the strategy would be to land at the next convenient airport unless the airspace and route were visually familiar to me. I’m not much interested in VOR or DR, which would be my other two options.

I use a fan cooled mount, powered by ships power with battery backup. My iPads are non-current models bought ‘reconditioned’ to make all of the above affordable.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 15 Mar 21:21

172driver wrote:

There are several strategies to maximize the battery life of an iPad. One is to shut down all non-essential apps that run in the background, another to not use max brightness, there are others, Google is your friend. FWIW my iPad Mini 5 lasts about 4 hours, getting the GPS data from the panel via Bluetooth. YMMV.

My mileage does not vary so much. I got approximately 2 hours out of 40% (differential) battery life. That means to stay comfortable I need to start a flight with 100%. That’s not the case with the realistically EOL Android tablet.

EDQH, Germany
Sign in to add your message