Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Youtube/Vimeo issues

This is from this thread.

If anybody cannot see the two videos in the first post of that thread, please post here what browser (and version) you are using. Thank you.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This is really strange. When I open the original page from “Forum → Flying” or “Active” the videos does not show. When I open that link above, the videos do show.

Chrome OS ver. 38.0.2125.110 (64-bit) on HP 14" with Chrome browser (of course).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Currently this appears to be a browser config issue.

Some browsers are configured by default to silently block mixed (HTTP and HTTPS) content, and for some completely bizzare reason some websites use HTTPS for completely boring stuff.

The browser config can be quite subtle. For example there is a site I sometimes use which is HTTPS but the certificate is invalid (a self signed certificate I guess). I used to be able to access it using both FF and IE8 but after rebuilding my PC following a crash I cannot access it with IE. The issue is all over the internet but I just can’t make it work… This video issue is something else though because I am sure both Youtube and Vimeo have valid certs.

Administrator

for some completely bizzare reason some websites use HTTPS for completely boring stuff

One reason is that Google rank sites which use HTTPS more highly than those that don’t. In fact, that’s probably the reason you’ll see more and more sites switch to HTTPS.

Administrator
EGTR / London, United Kingdom

I ser the exact same behaviour on my phone, nexus 5. Chrome browser.

I would think this is a problem with this site.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Actually there shouldn’t be any sites that don’t use HTTPS. GSM/UMTS voice encryption also doesn’t depend on how intelligent/secret your conversation is.

It’s good that browsers have started to show errors on mixed HTTP/HTTPS content. Allowing that defeats the purpose of HTTPS.

You should start by redirecting port 80 to port 443 on euroga…

Last Edited by achimha at 05 Nov 08:33

Browsers have always (for many years, anyway) showed errors on mixed content but if the default setting is to silently block it, no wonder a lot of people can’t see a lot of stuff.

A site which serves sensitive data (banking etc) should be fully HTTPS (and it can’t contain Vimeo videos – see the various issues discussed online) but a site which serves ordinary stuff?

I don’t understand what the issue is here though… I don’t know enough about IT.

BTW, https :// euroga.org/ does work and has been up for ages! I wonder if that enables the videos to be visible?

Administrator

Just for the record: I can see and play both videos without problems in IE11 (11.0.13) and FF (33.0.2) on HP ProBook laptop running Windows 7.

Last Edited by CCO709 at 05 Nov 11:30
EHLE (Lelystad - NL), Netherlands

This is really strange. When I open the original page from “Forum → Flying” or “Active” the videos does not show. When I open that link above, the videos do show.

I have exactly the same problem. I am using Internet Explorer 11 on a desktop running Windows 7.

UK, United Kingdom

Try starting EuroGA with https://euroga.org

Administrator
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message