Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is the definitive answer to SMS (yes normal SMS) on an IPAD with a SIM card?

I understand Peter.

EDLE, Netherlands

Yes; that is about the summary

To post more detail I would be naming banks or CC providers, which is not a good idea on social media because already I’ve had several thefts from accounts, implemented with fake ID documents

The only reason I am using the Ipad is for Foreflight. I already have a perfectly usable Android tablet – the old T705, which gets hardly warm and is the only tablet which has never shut down due to overheating.

I can just use my S10E android phone which does everything, but then the IOS tablet cannot fully act as a backup for it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you have an iPad AND iPhone, this SMS problem does not exist. I would otherwise indeed change banks to one that is not working with SMS messages anymore. Lots of banks around offer a better alternative. Or switch over to Android altogether, if you can miss the apps like ForeFlight and others that only work on iOS or iPadOS.

EDLE, Netherlands

Peter wrote:

The banks in question use SMS only.

Change the bank

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

The banks in question use SMS only.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Why SMS? Basically for 2FA, like Paypal uses.

If you mostly want to use it for 2FA,

(1) Can you get the 2FA codes sent to two separate numbers at the same time? Presumably it depends on the particular service you want to use, but I only remember ever seeing a place to add one telephone number in most of the services I use. I haven’t really tried though, so could be completely wrong.

(2) Most of the services that I use 2FA for, have authenticator apps, which I prefer. They are purportedly more secure (no idea if that is true), and I find them more convenient to use. I know the apps I use are available for the iPad, but I have not checked whether they restrict themselves to a single device, or whether I can have the app on both iPhone and iPad and use whichever I want.

Agree that it is annoying that Apple does not allow SMS or voice calls (using the mobile channel, not the data channel) on an iPad. If it was for commercial reasons, they surely must be much less compelling now, with so much switching to use the data channel.

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Yes. It depends on the sim card. If you have one which can reside in a phone as well, meaning it has phone it behaves just like a phone. My S3 receives SMS all the time.
If you have a data only simcard, it may well be different.

It should also be supported by the tablet hardware. Good Android tablets support both SMS and voice via the mobile network, but think I’ve seen one that didn’t.

Important: during a voice call, you may lose your data connection.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Snoopy wrote

Can android tablets be used to talk / send sms via phone lines instead of data?

Yes. It depends on the sim card. If you have one which can reside in a phone as well, meaning it has phone it behaves just like a phone. My S3 receives SMS all the time.

If you have a data only simcard, it may well be different.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

This is almost entirely for 2FA / banking security type usage, where SMS still rules.

This is very poor 2FA and I feel sorry for the security guys in those banks

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

OK ? That’s how I have stuff set up. I have one SIM in my phone and one (twin) sim in my tablet. It’s the same phone number, same plan, same everything, just a twin card. I can also have a third twin if I want. I know there is something called e-SIM (some cardless sim?), but I don’t have any gadgets with that AFAIK at least

Just recently I got rid of all cables as well in my house. Installed a 4g/5g antenna connected to Google Nest. Works simply perfect. Automatic voice over wifi as well, although that’s a bit daft as everything already is 4g/5g. I guess there is a SIM there somewhere also, but it’s not connected to a phone number or anything. I did that because we “installed” 4g internet at the cottage last summer (a simple Asus 4g router at €100). This router use my wife’s twin SIM card, but in data only mode. This works just as good as cable IMO, so I figured a dedicated 4g/5g antenna system would be even better.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message