Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Weather information Africa

Thanks for all the helpful comments!

@ lukepower – wilco!
Probably not as professional as many others, but I will write a little report before X-Mas.
We are taking around 3 weeks for this trip and

EDMA

@Manitu: I hope a nice trip report will be posted later on. This is something that fascinates me and I have it on my bucket list :)

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

I believe there’s not much low-level coverage in Africa. Most companies that operate in and out of Africa mark most places as a “Hull loss” unless destination or alternate, so never really need much weather information except CBs, which is the common theme when I operated LHR-CPT/ABV/ACC/NBO.

Presume you can get a rough idea for weather using this; https://www.avmet.ae/metcharts.aspx

TAFs + METARs and a lot of looking out the window and avoiding flying at night across the ITCZ. We used to get moderate turbulence 150 miles away from cells.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Egypt should be easy. There is an outfit based around Cairo – GASE – which is reportedly extremely helpful.

I have some overflight agents listed on my website.

Sudan has historically been crossed by pre-positioning avgas drums but if you can use jet-a1 you don’t need that. After Sudan you are into the “former British colonial” Africa which tends to sort of function and there is a lot more GA there too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Diamond Aircraft have ferried a bunch of new DA42’s to places that have required crossing Egypt at least, and possibly some of the other countries you have mentioned too. Micke Lang is one of their pilots and has a YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/c/MickeLang). He seems to respond to some comments, so you could try asking him what sources they used. While you’re on the channel you can watch him do a lowish circle around the pyramids too!

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

no idea about Africa, it will be GFS only?

No. ECMWF data exist also.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I guess it’s easy to compare Windy forecasts t-2days for some against METAR at t even in Africa as of today without going there? that should be enough for aerdrome weathe?

For en-route weather, it has to be the view outside the window or feel inside the clouds

I have been doing this even when not flying for years in UK/France, very happy with quality of trends & uncertainty from Windy data and I have a good idea of the models…no idea about Africa, it will be GFS only?

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Nov 11:48
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Manitu wrote:

Windy quality check is a good idea, but then only screenshot vs real weather.

Screenshot vs window view shot

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

We have Connext on board (GSR56), but in Africa no radar, no satellite coverage (same for Golze ADL).
But through Connext we get METAR/TAF, SIGMET, AIRMET, Winds and Lightning.

Windy quality check is a good idea, but then only screenshot vs real weather.

EDMA

It would be great if you have time during your trip to make a brief analysis of quality of the forecasts compared to real weather encountered. I don’t think many of us had the opportunity to check Windy’s forecasts in Africa. I usually make few screenshots of forecasts (both ECMWF and GFS models) and few ADL screenshots during the flight and post flight try to assess quality of forecast in given conditions.

Last Edited by Emir at 01 Nov 06:28
LDZA LDVA, Croatia
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message