Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Wait for the next generation of iPad Mini?

This “Black Friday” thing became a whole week ending with “Cyber Monday” where electronic devices become cheap – that’s what I’m waiting for. Also, I’m not really looking for the 7, I was just hoping prices might drop if the newer, shinier gadget is available.

Berlin, Germany

Silvaire wrote:

As an aside, I would not recommend the Stratus III, this thing very easily overheats. It has to be mounted on a side window, on the dash it overheats very quickly.

Oddly enough while my iPads have overheated on the hottest days (over 100 F or 38 C) until fan cooled, my Stratus 2S {singular) is Velcro’d full time (never removed) on the top of the dash under a bubble canopy and has never overheated in simultaneous service.

I found some additional info that may explain different experiences with Stratus ADS-B receivers overheating. If you keep it plugged in to ships power as I do continuously, the internal temperature limit is higher.

Assuming the unit is rejecting heat to 35 C air, the higher allowable temp provides 28% higher heat dissipation. Perhaps as a result I’ve not had Stratus shutdown issues in environments hotter than recommended.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Nov 00:35
42 Posts
Sign in to add your message