Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Wait for the next generation of iPad Mini?

Yeager wrote:

I have never experienced overheating related failures (50H flight time only!).

I believe the single source of overheating of these devices are down to direct sunlight exposure.

This seems to depend on the individual unit as much as anything else. My iPad mini 5 is sometimes hot to the touch when exposed to sunlight but it has never shut down on me.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

But, seriously, you can’t see half the panel now…

where to place the Ipad on the panel is a tough question. Two variants:
[PFD] [IPAD] [MFD]

2. [PFD][MFD] [IPAD]

In the first one, the mfd is outside the primary field of view, in the second one the iPad is further away than I would like.

Poland

I’ve put the iPad mini to the left of my yoke, fixed it with RAM mount just before the panel. There is just enough free space there for the mini (only thing is the autopilot unit that is behind the ipad, but that’s only an on/off switch). It is also directly in the airstream of the air vent opening, and that’s a huge amount of air coming out if so desired. So it is kept cool and visible / operational. I can use it with my left hand, no problem. The normal iPad won’t fit.

I have installed my normal iPad in the roof. A bit unusual maybe, but I can see it quite good and it’s absolutely bright enough. I have found no other place to put it.

Good idea with the black Friday, will also watch out tomorrow.

Germany

Would any of you with multiple ipads and panel kit etc be prepared to educate me by explaining your operating procedures.
I don’t mean how to use them, I’m talking more of what you use each of them for.

France

RV14 wrote:

I find it difficult to use the small screen of Ipad mini for flight planning, or another words a mobile phone is just as difficult to use for the task as an iPad mini therefore in my opinion, the little ipad adds little value.
Standard size iPad is a good compromise but 13’ pro would be my choice

what a beauty!

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Peter wrote:

But, seriously, you can’t see half the panel now…

Who cares about that half of the panel! – there´s a warning light panel no?? ;-)

Airborne_Again wrote:

This seems to depend on the individual unit as much as anything else. My iPad mini 5 is sometimes hot to the touch when exposed to sunlight but it has never shut down on me.

Are you saying “individual version of the device eg. version 5 vs version 6” or do you mean “individual unit within the same version”?
Between different (individual) versions (eg. V5 vs V6) it´s very possible that there´s going to be a difference, even a big difference, in the processer heat, subject to that specific version.
But within the same individual version there shouldn´t be a markable difference!

Last Edited by Yeager at 16 Nov 11:59
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Gallois,

My starting point for any flight…….10 mins local, or a trip across Europe, will be to look at Skydemon.
I put in dep and dest and rubber band a couple of points, to get a flyable route…….maybe 3 mins?

This will probably be on the phone.
If I need a little more detail I may use the ipad mini as I find the screen very much big enough.

Once I’m done, I save the route to SD.
On another device….Ipad……open SD and now look for that saved route, and open it.
If I used my phone initially, I’ll open on the second Ipad, look for the save route again and open it.

In the P1 position in the aircraft I use Garmin Pilot.
On that Ipad, in SD, I can select in the menu to share to Garmin Pilot.
It opens GP for me an loads the route.
I can now swap between the two apps in flight.
When in GP I can send the route to my panel.

Figuratively speaking, If I’m VFR, i can use SD to plan a route from base in the UK to LIDO, send the GAR for uk departure, file the flightplan, copy the GAR details to an email and send that to the desination, save the route for opening on a second Ipad, open it all up, copy to GP and the panel all in about 10 mins.

If I’m IFR I’ll begin on the P1 ipad, not the phone.
I’ll log in to Autorouter, plan the route, file the flightplan. The squirt then route to GP and SD on the same device. Copy the SD route to SD so it will again be available on Ipad2
When at the aircraft with engine running, copy from GP to the panel and go fly.
When I get commands/directs from ATC, i can either change it on the ipad and send to the panel or chanon the panel and the GP on the ipad follows automatically.

Last Edited by GA_Pete at 16 Nov 12:13
United Kingdom

Before you buy a iPad Mini, have you given consideration to a full size device?

I use a 10 inch Samsung device. I wouldn’t do with a smaller device now. I find the larger device much easier to use. In planning it allows more space to see what’s happening. In flight it allows me to open tabs to check ETAs or weather etc while still seeing plenty of the route.

I keep it on my lap (with a homemade lap strap).

I appreciated that I’m very much in the minority, but you should at least give it consideration before committing.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

Before you buy a iPad Mini, have you given consideration to a full size device?

I use a 10 inch Samsung device. I wouldn’t do with a smaller device now. I find the larger device much easier to use. In planning it allows more space to see what’s happening. In flight it allows me to open tabs to check ETAs or weather etc while still seeing plenty of the route.

I keep it on my lap (with a homemade lap strap).

I appreciated that I’m very much in the minority, but you should at least give it consideration before committing.

I would think the majority of SD and Foreflight users, plan their flights/routes on a PC with a large monitor or at least a Laptop/MacBook, and then sync it with the portable devices (iPads etc.). I don´t find detailed planning on any portable device (including “full” size iPad) particular great – though it´s possible! For actual flight execution I don´t see a big difference between a full size iPad or Mini – in SD you can have text upsized by 40% (1.4 x). Again, as you suggest, one could simply compare it!

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

@GA_Pete thank you so much for your detailed explanation. I don’t know if I could ever reach that degree of sophistication. I admit much of it goes right over my head.🙂
My early IFR flying relied on planning on paper charts. Either the one I could download free from SIA oŕ before that or if crossing borders the Jeppesen very thin paper charts.
I would also had A5 ring binders with the paper IAPs in it.
I would have to enter VORs, NDBs and KLN 80 (IIRC) for RNAV and DME as I went along, trying to keep one step ahead. We eventually got a GPS a Garmin 155.which we could occasionally link with the Century3 AP.
But then I eventually upgrade to a G1000 and Jeppesen FD on an I Pad. Much easier Nav but planning was still done on paper until Autorouter came along or more accurately until EuroGa pointed me in that direction. I have since flown with many aircraft with different panel mounted Nav systems, which have not been so different that I couldn’t learn to use them on You Tube.
For VFR in the ULM (no panel mounted gps) I use my Smartphone with Skydemon or SDVFR. I plan on the smartphone but I have been looking at getting an tablet because there is an existing mount in the aircraft. I know Skydemon requires at least Android 4 and I have learnt on here that I would need an IPad 4/5 or above, but I must buy the one with built in GPS.
I have been looking at a Lenovo with Android 11.
But you guys have got me.really worried that I am missing out on something that I should have. I’m just not sure I could deal with all those screens and mounts especially as I am a bit of a dunce when it comes to IT stuff.

France
Sign in to add your message