Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Visa for inbound ferry USA

Which is a good job because you need a RETURN airline ticket to use the Visa Waiver programme. Saying you’ll leave by private aircraft doesn’t satisfy the requirements.

In the past some people have been known to buy a cheapo return flight which they knew they wouldn’t use……

Also the ‘onward ticket’ doesn’t work anymore the way it used to. Now neither Canada, Mexico nor the Caribbean qualify as ‘onward’ destinations.

I was nearly stopped from getting on the plane to the US to fly the Mirage back.

However as we had already filed flight plan to leave the US I was let on. Otherwise the return flight would have been the only solution.

As I am heading over this summer, this thread has reminded me that I will need a visa to enter.

EGTK Oxford

I’ve just talked with someone who did a similar trip. The visa is valid 10 years so I can use it for both

Which is a good job because you need a RETURN airline ticket to use the Visa Waiver programme. Saying you’ll leave by private aircraft doesn’t satisfy the requirements.

In the past some people have been known to buy a cheapo return flight which they knew they wouldn’t use……

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

I’ve just talked with someone who did a similar trip. The visa is valid 10 years so I can use it for both.

Thanks!

EDXQ

Normally, the B1/B2 should cover both trips, depending on validity. Cannot imagine this to be an issue if there are only two months between the trips.

Actually I’ll do 2 trips. One inbound with my plane. Than fly back home with airline and come 2 month later with airline, pick up the plane, travel around in the US and fly back home. I’ve now applied for a B1/B2 for the first part but do I need a visa for the second part too or is that covered by the Visa Waiver Program? I’m quite confused…

EDXQ

Crew Visa or B1 is a moot point. I have a B1 visa because the US Embassy told me that’s what I needed but have been told on a trip to the US to collect an aeroplane that it isn’t the right one, and also when I went to the simulator was told the same. On the other hand I have also done several sim courses when there has been no query!

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Yes, you are right. When I flew the Bahamas from Florida I did NOT need a Visa for re-entry into the States after 4 days. That is an exception.

OK, I stand corrected, that website is pretty clear.

I think that was because they had already entered the US under the visa waiver program and were making a short excursion. I don’t think it applies if you haven’t already cleared in under the VWP.

You may well be right there. I also recall reading something about a ‘short excursion’, e.g. from CA to Mexico in a car. Must be that.

Last Edited by 172driver at 16 Jan 09:37

I think that was because they had already entered the US under the visa waiver program and were making a short excursion. I don’t think it applies if you haven’t already cleared in under the VWP.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message