Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Visa for inbound ferry USA

Does anybody know whether I need a US-Visa if I fly with my own plane to the states and if yes, which one (B1 or a crew visa)? Called up the US embassy today but they didn’t know that and have raised a ticket.

EDXQ

Yes, you DO need a visa. Visa free travelling is only for airline passengers. I cannot tell you WHICH Visa you need, but I know you need one.

Alex, I think (but not sure) you are wrong. There was a long(ish) thread on that over at the wrinkled plum a while ago and the gist of it was that you could, in fact, enter the US in a private airplane on the Visa Waiver Program. This pertained to people renting in Florida and flying to the Bahamas. IIRC. Therefore re-entering the US, not sure if that makes a difference.

Now Muelli, please don’t take this bit of info as gospel and go without visa, but I think you could do it. If you do need a visa, then it’s most likely a crew visa.

Last Edited by 172driver at 16 Jan 09:25

Four years ago, when i was still the editor in chief of the Airbus magazine, I organized a trip for one of my journalists who accompanied a pilot on a TBM700 ferry flight from France to California. I remember well that he needed a Visa although he was german and that we got the information that Visa free travelling is only available fro airline passengers (not sure about ships, or forgot).

You may travel visa free if you meet all of the following requirements:

Private or official aircraft or vessels do not meet this requirement. You will need a visa if you travel on a private plane or yacht.

http://germany.usembassy.gov/visa/vwp/

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 16 Jan 09:30

I think that was because they had already entered the US under the visa waiver program and were making a short excursion. I don’t think it applies if you haven’t already cleared in under the VWP.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

OK, I stand corrected, that website is pretty clear.

I think that was because they had already entered the US under the visa waiver program and were making a short excursion. I don’t think it applies if you haven’t already cleared in under the VWP.

You may well be right there. I also recall reading something about a ‘short excursion’, e.g. from CA to Mexico in a car. Must be that.

Last Edited by 172driver at 16 Jan 09:37

Yes, you are right. When I flew the Bahamas from Florida I did NOT need a Visa for re-entry into the States after 4 days. That is an exception.

Crew Visa or B1 is a moot point. I have a B1 visa because the US Embassy told me that’s what I needed but have been told on a trip to the US to collect an aeroplane that it isn’t the right one, and also when I went to the simulator was told the same. On the other hand I have also done several sim courses when there has been no query!

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Actually I’ll do 2 trips. One inbound with my plane. Than fly back home with airline and come 2 month later with airline, pick up the plane, travel around in the US and fly back home. I’ve now applied for a B1/B2 for the first part but do I need a visa for the second part too or is that covered by the Visa Waiver Program? I’m quite confused…

EDXQ
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message