Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR trip to Samedan LSZS

boscomantico wrote:

Yes, exactly.

I also wan’t sure, that’s why asked the airport this question specifically. If you have an FI rating, just do the written test and then go. Ideally, take along another (non-FI) pilot, so you can check him out on the same occasion.

That sounds great. I was unable to interpret that from the information on the website/un the briefing. Could you copypaste the answer you got from them so we all can see?

ESSZ, Sweden

tomjnx pp 21, 62-63 of the briefing apply?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

I thought the online briefing was very good.

I beg to differ, there’s very little about wind patterns, and nothing about the possible downdrafts near Celerina, that definitely has caused a few accidents…

LSZK, Switzerland

Added LSZS to the logbook on Saturday, CAVOK with a recovery flight back to LFMN. Standard airway join on departure seems to be via PELAD which involves a fairly robust climb and turn north ideally over the Julier pass. Hardly any wind and the ramp was empty except for a D reg 210 and a D reg Malibu.

Took the online test, and passed but was not able to determine what questions I got wrong. I thought the online briefing was very good. Reading between the lines and with FL160 being the lowest IFR level am not sure how you would cancel IFR without CAVOK conditions? I know it may be done by some operators, but not sure what SOP is practical assuming you are using 5,000 BKN and 8 km as your VMC minima? Break cloud well to the north and route via Julier assuming the GAFOR route is clear?

I understand one of the hazards not mentioned in the briefing is snow banks when they use the western apron for excess parking.

The operator paid handling, let’s say if you need to ask it may be off your affordability spectrum.

http://www.engadin-airport.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/SMV_PILOT_BRIEFING_LSZS_FINAL.pdf

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Mooney_Driver, thanks for the enjoyable post with photos of places and passes I’ve very much enjoyed being. Also great to learn about Ufenau and Lutzelau, my wife and I looked up the island’s history after seeing the photos.

PS your Mooney is wonderful, modern panel and practical with great character too. My kind of plane

Will this work for a humble CRI like me too?

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

How silly…

But then what do you expect from a rule that was introduced after one particular accident, and would not have prevented that accident at all…

Biggin Hill

So do I understand it correctly – if one has an instructor rating, he/she can do the written test, and just fly and also teach others without needing an introductory flight?

Yes, exactly.

I also wan’t sure, that’s why asked the airport this question specifically. If you have an FI rating, just do the written test and then go. Ideally, take along another (non-FI) pilot, so you can check him out on the same occasion.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

How does an FI get qualified?

Last Edited by Cobalt at 01 Sep 13:16
Biggin Hill

Jacko wrote:

One of the tables on the Engadin airport website indicates that no introduction flight is required for mountain pilots. Do you know if that is still correct?

Yes. If you have the “MOU” entry in your licence, you do not need the intro flight. You still need the online test, but that is easy.

blueline wrote:

Who conducts this mandatory training (as useless as it may be)? What cost is to be expected?

You can do it with any rated FI. All you need to do is find a FI who is qualified and then do a flight with him to Samedan.

achimha wrote:

This mandatory required training is only for small aircraft and serves to keep them away

It was a cover your ass thing when the shit hit the fan a couple of years ago and the FOCA demanded of them to introduce strict training rules to stop the accident rate. that does not make it any better but I would hesitate to call it an Oligarch rule. Which does not mean that Samedan does not actively discourage small airplanes with its high fees. It is a classical case of an airport which is managed by people who think that way, only large airplanes make them money. They totally ignore the horrible reputation they generate for themselfs (and don’t care) but also that they are cutting off the branch on which they are sitting by alianating the pilots community who would support if they were allowed to use the facility properly.

Apart from that, the “introduction flight” policy is going to be much worse soon, a lot more airports will have to introduce this either because they will be forced to or rather with the goal of getting rid of visiting GA. Of course, each airport which introduces such rulings cuts themselfs off the very essence of what GA is all about. I know of at least 3 other airfields and airports in Switzerland who will most probably start this fairly soon, one of them being my Homebase ZRH. All of us, who have been flying there for decades without any incident, will have to go through that training. Not sure yet if it is online only or if they do require a training flight as well.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message