Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

USB chargers - variations in performance

I bought some of the Volutz cables. They are massive

They are also pretty stiff so not really great for normal USB usage, IMHO, even though they do work for USB (they do have the two data wires).

I read somewhere that the micro-USB connector is supposed to withstand 10,000 mating cycles, which is just as well given the punishment is gets with these cables. I have bought a wireless charging base anyway, and data transfer is best done over wifi anyway (I use WIFI File Transfer Pro which basically sets up an HTTP server in the phone) since I can’t seem to browse the phone’s file system over USB anyway (it looks for some PC drivers and can’t find them).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

OK, here, thank you.

I especially like the “turbo fast” bit and presumably it will also make it sound better

I can see why these cables are fabric-covered rather than plastic covered: it enables the use of much thicker conductors, within a given overall diameter.

Administrator

On Amazon search for Volutz, they have various types on there.

Interesting…

I cannot readily find these on amazon.co.uk but there are some on Ebay – example

20 AWG is 0.06 ohm total resistance for a 1m cable – 10x lower than the one discussed above.

Administrator

I use a couple of different USB power monitors when testing my chargers, I can calibrate them to ensure they are correct during any given series of runs.

The quality of the USB cable is important too, as mentioned above. Worst I’ve seen are the clone Apple lighting cables, as they fake the chip in the connector, which causes all sorts of interesting issues. Generally look for 20/24 cables if you can which are 20awg for the power and 24awg for the data pins, you can get them from Amazon for £5-£10.

There are more USB charging details up on the website. (www.charge4.co.uk)

Last Edited by Harkwood at 08 Jul 11:09

Emir,

(Sorry, can’t quote your post, and don’t feel like retying, but you know what I’m refering to!)

Unless your iPad is an iPad 1 or iPad 2, it will not charge it from 0-100%. The hi-res displays in the iPad3, brought a significant jump in battery capacity. You’ll need something with 15000mah to fully charge an iPad 3 from 0-100%. I presume iPad4+ require even more.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
Administrator

I have that same power bank ( amongst others ) and use it instead of a lighter socket when sitting in the back seat. Works fine for that and maintains the charge on the iPad which is what I want.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Slightly off topic but I’ll try http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-4735_TL-PB10400.html to see how many times it can charge iPhone or iPad from 0 to 100% when full. The idea is to use it as inflight charger for mobile devices instead of lighter socket (which I don’t have in DA42).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I looked up some wire resistance.

Standard 7/0.1 wire – the type likely to be used in a USB cable – is 0.3 ohm per metre. So, there and back, 1m cable, is 0.6 ohm. At 2A that’s a 1.2V drop! That’s a 25% loss of power, or 25% longer to charge, right away.

We can be charitable and say that one of the two conductors is the shield and let’s say that’s much less than 0.3, but that still leaves you with a 0.6V drop.

But a lot of Chinese shielded cables don’t use the shield for anything, because connecting to the shield can be messy and connecting the shield to one of the pins on a tiny connector is even more messy. Unless the cable is thus specified (I buy a lot of custom made cables from China) the shield will just terminate to the connector shield, not (in the USB case) be used for the ground wire.

Administrator
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one