Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

West Coast Winter 2018

Aveling wrote:

I’ve been flying here for quite a few years) but quite recently on final I was asked “are you LAHSO equipped?

I’ve been asked (IIRC) “are you STOL equipped” in the same circumstance… and since I believe that STOL may have a regulatory meaning (?) I’ve replied “negative” but clarified that I needed only fraction of the available runway length regardless.

Great report, Aveling! I really should write one myself next time I fly out over the deserts here….

Jujupilote wrote:

Ouch ! As expensive as in France !
I heard of PlusOne at San Diego as a much better deal.

If you want to save money on rental in that area, here would be one recommendation. (scroll down)

Last Edited by Silvaire at 13 Feb 01:07

Jujupilote wrote:

Where did you rent your 172 ?

I hope Peter doesn’t mind me promoting this (I’m sure he’ll delete it otherwise). My plane comes from Northaire, Prescott. I’ve known them for quite a long time.

Last Edited by Aveling at 13 Feb 10:49
EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Of course it is fine to mention this kind of thing. Mentioning good products and organisations is helpful to anyone. The “advertising” issues arise with e.g. posters who continually post only to promote their business and little or nothing else

Also, despite rumours spread around, I almost never delete anything other than offensive stuff which seems to run at around 0.1% of total posts and usually from the same 2-3 people

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

here would be one recommendation.

Absolutely. There are several in the Phoenix area that offer good rates, but are reluctant to let the aircraft go any distance. One CFI said to me: “Nashville? Is that near Globe?” and on discovering that I meant the one in Tennessee, said: “Oh, we don’t go out of state”. In my own case, it took a number of hourly rentals, land-aways, day trips and finally overnights over several years to build up the right relationship.

The answer, as ever, is to shop around. I started in the US with 50 Hrs in my logbook, so looking back it’s amazing that I was let loose with only a BFR / Check ride in the Las Vegas Class ‘B’ at all !

Hi Aveling, was at some of the placed 2 years ago, great memories, unfortunaltly only landside not airside except GC with a Twin Otter.
looking for continuation.
Lucas

Aveling wrote:

Nashville? Is that near Globe?

No, it’s not, found it in Tennessee!
Hello from Nashville where we just landed Thanks for the reports, I really like to read them!

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Thanks for the info chaps !

LFOU, France

Hello Terbang. Your exploits make my trip look like a $100 burger run! Congratulations on making it N of the border! Just the pond to go now?

Are you at Intl? I’ve been at Smyrna and John C Tune, neither very well connected to the city. Just interested in the experience at Intl since I’m going over there again soon.

Sign in to add your message