Welcome to our forums

Experiences with Russia

Amazing how quickly things can change!

EHRD, Netherlands

That trip is absolutely marvelous…

LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

That trip is absolutely marvelous…

Will never happen again. Not in our lifetime….

Whether it’s appropriate to show in the current situation everyone has to know for himself.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Will never happen again. Not in our lifetime….

It was on my bucket list! IAP into St.Petersburg… :(
Not going to happen.

EGTR

Won’t say entire lifetime for all of us, but it will definitely be done for the upcoming decades.

Switzerland

Never say never – just imagine that a certain leader in Russia has a car accident tomorrow and the liberal forces will use this discontinuity to end the war and build a true democracy. Borders will open up and we will have a great relationship…

Yes, I know I‘m dreaming – but who would have thought in 85 that we can freely fly to Dresden, Weimar or Stralsund „in our lifetime“ ?!?

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

Yes, I know I‘m dreaming – but who would have thought in 85 that we can freely fly to Dresden, Weimar or Stralsund „in our lifetime“ ?!?

Well, a certain gentleman flew from Helsinki to Moscow in 1987! :)))

EGTR

Was that freely in 1987 or did he get arrested?
There is also the point that the Finnish-Russian border has been quite relaxed almost as far back as Kruschev.

France

gallois wrote:

Of course Mathias Rust was arrested, hence the smiley face!

EGTR

gallois wrote:

There is also the point that the Finnish-Russian border has been quite relaxed almost as far back as Kruschev.

Certainly not freely. He flew without permission or flight plan or anything. Heads were rolling in the Soviet military afterwards. It was an advantage for Gorbatchev who got a reason to rid himself of hardliners who were opposed to his policies. Rust were in prison for a bit over a year.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message