Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Kinsale, Ireland

I am planning a trip to Ireland in June, and want to spend three days in Kinsale. It will be a VFR trip in my SF260, mtow 1102kgs.

Does anyone know if Cork International is user friendly and what landing and parking charges are? Skydemon shows a 800m strip called Crannmore which is West of Kinsale, near Clonakilty, but Mr Google doesn’t seem to know about it….anyone here with contact details and local knowledge?

I was researching this for a trip later this year. It seems that the people to contact at Cork are the FBO, Weston Aviation http://www.westonaviation.com/fbo-network/cork/

Whilst the FBO will be able to offer you the latest information on charges, you might also find something useful in the Airport Charges section here: http://www.corkairport.com/do-business-with-us/aviation-marketing

EGTT, The London FIR

Reguarding the strip at Crannmore, many of the strips in SkyDemon in Ireland no longer exist. They were imported from the excellend flying in Ireland flight guide produced by @WilliamF

But that was a number of years ago, and SD has no way of knowing which ones have closed, so they remain there forever, unless someone tells them it’s closed. Hence a lot of them are gone but still shown in SD.

I don’t know if that one that you mention is still open or not, but if @WilliamF doesn’t answer before then, I’ll have a look at his guide this evening and see if I can find the contact details for you.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I think you will find the landing and parking fees at Cork pretty extortionate – so worth while checking exactly what they will be.

I landed my PA32 there 3 years ago and the landing and parking for just for 4 hours was around 80 Euro. For that – we were parked down on the south side of the airfield on a dangerously sloping piece of tarmac – and the “FBO” was a very dirty protacabin – with 30 year old chairs and tables. We had to search through a pile of dirty cups in the sink to find some to wash and then make ourselves a coffee. We had to get a lift around the outside of the airfield and into the terminal in order to get the met and file a flightplan. I was disgusted. As an Irishman – I was doubly disgusted.

Lefty
EGLM

Hi,
Cork is friendly even if the facilities are poor. Its certainly not the worst of the regional airports in Ireland, I’ll give the award to Belfast City for being the least GA disposed.

Craanmore is a really nice strip, owned by quite a funny character called Tom Keating. Once you don’t turn up in a G reg airplane he wont give you too much slagging off. He likes to keep all the placards in his aircraft in the native Irish language. I am not sure about the grass field capability of the SF260, its a great strip but the grass isn’t overly short. He flies a Rallye 180 so its doesn’t need much of the 800m strip. He might have it cut tighter by arrangement. Landing fee is 20 euro donation to the local Rugby Club.

Skydemon did just lift all the data from my book and another, and a lot of it is inaccurate. Certainly a lot of the places were geared towards STOL operations where you had walked the ground first.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

William, at Cork, is GA still being parked down in the dip on the SE of r/w 17?
Is it still in that little portacabin?
What is th landing fee like?

Tom

Lefty
EGLM

Thank you all for your kind responses, I am hopeful that a contribution to the local rugby club, and a round of Guinness in the club or pub will make up for the G-reg on my Marchetti if I can land at Craanmore, which is spelt incorrectly on SD.

I heard a SF260 landed once in Hackettstown. If it can land there it can land anywhere. Let us know when your coming, I’d like to see it first hand. Great pilot magazine write up on them back in 1990’s. Stuck in my mind as one of the best flight tests I ever read.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Would you by any chance be meaning the airstrip referred to as “Clonakilty”? That can be found at OpenStreetMap and also in a downloadable .gdb file at the site of the Finn Valley Aeroclub. Said gdb file seems to be rather out of date, though, so do not count on it – and it gives precious little information, actually only the approximate coordinates.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

The centre point co-ordinates are

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message