Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR to Ibiza LEIB in Jan/Feb - am I mad?

would a GRAMET from autoroute be the best resource?

No; it is almost useless at that level/resolution.

The only way to get any useful data is to look at the IR image on the morning of the flight. I have a private site which runs on a server at my office – check your messages.

Right now:

but it does vary with ISA plus or minus…

Does SkyDemon now serve the legal purpose of having current charts on board? For reference I have paper charts for the route but all from 2014-2015. Or indeed do the charts in the Garmin 500/GTN750 count if they are up to date?

I am not aware of any European requirement for paper charts.

Forget Carcassonne for fuel. We had big issues on our May 2016 fly-in. Basically the based FTO monopolises the pump even if they don’t need it, or are totally shut. We got fuel but only with local language (Nestor’s) great help. That airport is hopeless and doesn’t want any traffic, IMHO.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I am not aware of any European requirement for paper charts.

There is no such requirement in Europe. Most (if not all) commercial operators don’t use paper charts since several years.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Well, reportedly, NL airfield police insists on paper charts for private VFR pilots…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It would be interesting to know if there have been any prosecutions.

Police often suffer from ignorance of the law, or use intimidation against somebody who showed the “incorrect attitude”. Standard stuff.

Administrator

boscomantico wrote:

Well, reportedly, NL airfield police insists on paper charts for private VFR pilots…

Must be false rumours. Dutch government confirmed to AOPA NL that carriage of a paper chart is not a requirement. However, if using digital charts, the carriage of a back-up is required. This back-up can be either digital or paper.

Source: AOPA NL

If the possible winter weather is what you´re concerned about: it all depends on the actual situation. I´m sure this trip can be impossible, either VFR or IFR, if the weather is crap. But then, I´ve gone nonstop from Central Germany to Lubljana, Slovenia, across the Alps in a powered glider in the middle of winter a couple of years ago. The return trip though had to be postponed by a day for weather.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

I agree, winters are good for flying. You tend to get a lot less haze, and you don’t get CBs forming in the afternoon, like clockwork.

The chief drawback is that the places you may want to go to are cold and mostly shut, but in this case that’s taken care of.

Administrator

I would use Caen for customs / immigration.

Perpignan is the only airport I have been to that I would not return to! In my opinion It’s a total shambles and will likely take you a long time to get from the GA parking through the gates to the terminal and unsigned posted secret security room!

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Alex_ wrote:

I would use Caen for customs / immigration.

Did I read somewhere that Caen is now 24 hours PNR for customs?

Watch out for the wind in Perpignan, once it starts it can blow like hell for days and its not exactly the place you would want to get stuck at.

Watch out for the wind in Perpignan, once it starts it can blow like hell for days and its not exactly the place you would want to get stuck at.

Thanks for the tip – is Perpignan as a place not very nice?

TB20 IR(R) 600hrs
EGKA Shoreham, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message