Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Hi there!

Planning my flight to Sicily tomorrow and wish to fly around Etna. Need some advises about flying over this huge rock please. Weather to expect (heard that it’s almost always cloudy over the top)? Up/down draughts? Chance to get permission from ATC? (as I’ll have to climb to FL120 at least).

Thank you!

EVCA

Carefully check the airspace structure around the Etna. You can actually fly up there without needing ATC clearance, but normally, one will be in contact with Catania approach anyway. Usually no problem.

Fly early in the morning to have the best chances of finding the mountain top clear of cloud.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It’s not always cloudy over the top

IFR enroute from Malta to Salerno last November. There was a volcanic ash advisory which is evident from the plume. One can orbit round Etna avoiding the prohibited area over the volcano. Best to coordinate with Catania approach.

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

I was not lucky with the weather today: some build-ups right over the top and overcast on the northern part. Catania was very friendly on arrival. I’ll post short report with overall experience and current prices after departure. Btw, another GA friendly destination is Salerno, LIRI. They have AVGAS and it was not too much expensive.

EVCA
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message