Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lyon TMA VFR-crossing "strategy" - suggestions please...

Hey guys,

I am planning to conduct a VFR flight from North to South (i.e. from Dijon to Aix les Milles) crossing the Lyon TMA – knowing that French FIS/Controllers are very helpful… from practical experience, what would be a reasonable VFR routing (FL65/75/85)? DCT? :-)

Thank you!

I have never been denied VFR transit through the Lyon TMA at those levels. If you add LTP VOR as a turning point, you will be more or less on/above the published VFR corridor between the two nuclear plants (which don’t affect you as long as you stay above 4000 ft). That’ll also take you out of the way of the runway axes of Lyon St. Ex, which are in north/south direction.

Approaching from the north, you’d be talking to Bâle Info on 135.85, and they will hand you off to Lyon Info, and then Lyon Approche for the TMA transit.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 19 Apr 12:57

No map with me but no special difficulties.
Regarding to your altitude you will stay with Lyon info or Lyon TMA but anayway they will tell you it depend of traffic. And also if there is IFR approachs on Grenoble, they can ask you route and altitude.
From Dijon if you want to make it easy keep right (as says GPS system) stay in ouest. And stay on Rhône valley. Your only concern will be nuclear units above 3600 ft. South of Valence, you leave Lyon frequency.
Going south check Orange military zone on 118’92 if they are not active you will have a phone machine. If not they will take you. (Don t worry, they are friendly) if they are not active call Provence 127,725 they will bring you to Aix but notice on the map there is a VFR flight route with reporting points. I advice you to prepare it, specially if you fly during the week because, upper you may have military zone Salon 135.15. When they are active Provence prefere to keep you on VFR route.

If any problem LFNV, where I based is on your route.

Aix very low tax and GA friendly airport.

Feel free to ask more if need

PPG

PPG
LFNV

Rwy20, PPG

thank you very much for your assistance an helpful information!!

Concerning the (Salon) VFR-Route mentioned – do you refer to the VFR Route CV-ME-LB? Highest altitude is 1000/1500 ft AGL?

Exactly !

PPG

PPG
LFNV

might be of interest for others as well; while preparing the upcoming flight to Corse I recognized the following SUP AIP:

Création itinéraire VFR Est Lyon

That is the VFR corridor I was referring to in my post in this thread. I also linked to that SUP AIP in another thread, albeit as an example for a route you cannot fly without a GPS.

It says it is created to avoid Lyon TMA 1, 3, and 13, so I would check the upper limits of these (I don’t have an up to date IGN chart of that area and Skydemon doesn’t give the TMA sector numbers). My feeling is that it doesn’t affect you if you fly at FL65 as you wrote. And it also doesn’t say that you have to avoid these bits of the TMA and will never get a clearance through it. It says that it is a recommended itinerary.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 01 May 11:32

How did you get on TB_Flyer?

I’m looking at a similar routing next week from Troyes down to Carpentras.

Were Lyon accommodating with the transit?

Thanks

it was easy, no problem.
Coming from the north requested DCT LFLL, FL65, which was denied politely.
Instead the controller “suggested” a slight turn to the right, DCT Villefranche, afterwards DCT MTL.
Very kind, good communication, don’t worry!
Due to traffic he had to take me down to FL60 for a while…, “D-EXXX, is FL 60 suitable for you, due to traffic?” Blue skies…

9 Posts
Sign in to add your message