Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Immigration/Customs at airport of origin for flights to France and Belgium?

So it might simply be that some people in some entities spread information without really knowing the appropriate processes for that. To me it appears anyway that most people including those working in authorities believe that air travel means only airline travel and so what is done in that one sector applies to everything.

It’s probably wise to simply follow “our process” and that means to rely on NOTAMs while ignoring the chatter around.

Frequent travels around Europe

Stephan_Schwab wrote:

It’s probably wise to simply follow “our process” and that means to rely on NOTAMs while ignoring the chatter around.

I think that is always wise. And if someone says otherwise, refer them to AIP and NOTAMs.

LFPT, LFPN

Exactly. And this is the one that may be old, but still in force AFAICS..
https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/dossier/aicfrancea/AIC_A_2009_27_EN.pdf

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Well…as far as I can read:

The flights operated between metropolitan France and the other States implementing the Schengen acquis, in particular the Convention imple-
menting the Schengen Agreement are subjected to customs and police control as follows:
Case of flights inside the Schengen space with States other than Switzerland
These flights are not subjected to any specific customs and police control.Therefore, they may be performed, on the French side, on departure from
or arrival at all aerodromes, helipads and airfields approved to receive ultra-light motorized aircraft, provided that the use intended for these aero-
dromes, helipads and airfields is complied with.

So my understanding no specific rules for/from France if intra-Schengen unless specified in notam.

For Belgium, no specific rules as far as I know (no Notam nor other publications)….

Last Edited by jfw at 29 Mar 15:25
jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

I went to fly from LHNY on the day of the Brussels attacks and saw a police car parked in front of the admin building. They left just as they arrived in the office. It turned out that they were from the infamous TEK counter-terrorism unit and they inquired about the amount of international traffic the airport received (close to nil, even counting intra-Schengen flights). After receiving this information, which was quite surprising to them, they told the “security chief” that the airport should inform the police about all international arrivals, even if they are from within the Schengen zone. As far as everybody understood, it is not equivalent to the mandatory and pricey temporary border opening that has to be done if a flight arrives from outside the Schengen zone, but just an informal heads up. I do not really see the point of these measures or that of any intra-Schegnen immigration checks, but the authorities of course have to show that they are doing something.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

I flew into Oostende yesterday (EBOS) and went from the airside to the restaurant for coffee before continuing my flight to East Midlands. The place seemed like the best protected building in the world. Even the restaurant upstairs was watched over by people wearing bullet proof vests. Also a big lineup to go again through security as lots of airliners had diverted to Oostende now Zaventem was still closed. Thanks to the pilot license it was possible to go around the long waiting line to get up front and pass security. Inbound to EBOS there was nothing special or different to file or send to them. I even called and asked. Same for the UK. On the way back we went to eat at Perard in Le Touquet. We were the only aircraft arriving, but there were 3 customs people on site just checking our passports.

EDLE, Netherlands

JnsV wrote:

but just an informal heads up. I do not really see the point of these measures or that of any intra-Schegnen immigration checks, but the authorities of course have to show that they are doing something.

Aside from showing some activity, it’s a simple intelligence gathering. Just like when I’m traveling with larger amount of cash, I have to declare it even intra-Schengen. It goes into some database where the that nation’s units responsible for counter-terrorism, money-laundering and what not can look at it.

Today we flew to Bourges LFLD and they told us that we have to inform customs 1day before. No notam, but in the AIP is a link to the douane website. Funny, there you will find nothing at all about any new regulation. Finally my wife found a work around with the guy on the tower there and we filled out a form in advance and sended it by fax, but this worked only because of the world championships taking part at Bourges at the moment.
After landing we found out that the regulation was set up by the local chamber of commerce and as beeing the owner of the field they just may say yes or no about any arriving aircraft. They don’t care about notams or any standard regulation, it’s just a reaction on what had happend in Brussels and Paris. :-(

EDDS , Germany

eddsPeter wrote:

After landing we found out that the regulation was set up by the local chamber of commerce and as beeing the owner of the field they just may say yes or no about any arriving aircraft. They don’t care about notams or any standard regulation, it’s just a reaction on what had happend in Brussels and Paris. :-(

OTOH that means that there is no way they can fine or prosecute you…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Martin wrote:

Aside from showing some activity, it’s a simple intelligence gathering. Just like when I’m traveling with larger amount of cash, I have to declare it even intra-Schengen. It goes into some database where the that nation’s units responsible for counter-terrorism, money-laundering and what not can look at it.

I would say that it is stupid intelligence gathering. Flight plan is required to cross the borders of Budapest FIR for all flights, even intra-Schengen flights. If they wanted to gather intelligence, look at those. Not that anyone, who would just want to sneak in to country would land at the only GA-only airport with H24 (security) presence… (LHNY)

It is more like that the police have very little idea how aviation (and especially general aviation) works. And this situation is sad for all of us, because it creates traps that are not available by reading the AIP and NOTAMs, but buried in national (language) announcements and legislation.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO
Sign in to add your message