Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skiing near Airport Bolzano LIPB

Yes, Trento is one of the easiest and cheapest airports in Italy. Must be because of its vicinty to Austria.

Loco: that must have been because you have been VFR (at least the last bit) according to your flightplan.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Great pic, loco.

BTW that isn’t mountain flying. That is just flying a plane normally You did exactly the right thing in flying close to the mountain before turning left. One can also trade height for vertical acceleration ie unloading the wings in the turn, but I am sure you know all that.

Mountain flying is flying in canyons, often below a cloudbase, and if you screw up you die

As to what Italian ATC were doing, they were working out the bus timetables so the only possible day trip will take you to a place where the only thing open is a bar with 1 marmalade croissant.

With Trento being so easy, why is Bolzano so difficult?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Simple: it’s not.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Simple: it’s not.

Any chance of elaborating, Bosco?

Administrator

Bosco, yes, I also think it was due to VFR part after OZE.

Any tips for getting back in less then perfect weather? Say, OVC 3000.
Fly south in the valley to flat terrain and lower MVA?
Pretend clouds aren’t there?

LPFR, Poland

Obviously I am not going to be skiing in the summer but I am thinking of popping down to Bolzano. Is there anything worth seeing there, without actually going to the Dolomites?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Is there anything worth seeing there, without actually going to the Dolomites?

Interesting approach

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

I am thinking of popping down to Bolzano. Is there anything worth seeing there, without actually going to the Dolomites?

My wife would recommend the outdoor market….

If you feel like relaxing and just hanging out in a pleasant place, Eppan/Appiano is close, pleasant and the ice cream is good. Also a good discount shoe store if you feel so inclined Otherwise and further afield, Meran/Merano is an old spa from the Roman through Austro-Hungarian era, a popular tourist destination and walking along and around the river is quite pleasant…

Interesting approach allright 10 degrees off and you die.

One can’t fly the IAP into Bolzano without a crew qualification from the Italian CAA, so it is really a “CAVOK only” job. I would divert while still enroute.

There is another IAP with a much higher MDA which doesn’t need that, but it’s barely worth doing IMHO.

Administrator

Hi Peter,
depending how long you like to stay, but the Vinschgau (Meran upwards) is beautifull itself, and there are very good hotels for good prices there and delicous food.
So if a beautifull scenerie is enough ….
Enjoy

Sign in to add your message