Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Where to meet up in 2016?

You guys have listed some great places. Im up for one that has a some kind of instrument approach and a >1000m runway. Also a reasonable landing fee. Make that reasonable airport fees. For those that question reasonable. It starts at 0 and ends around 25 Euros Landing 10 handling. 10 parking per day. Avgas at customary price levels.

I know sounds like a wish list for Santa.

KHTO, LHTL

Flyer59 wrote:

Flyer59 20-Nov-15 08:48 #140
You want to spend a lot of money, explore the world – have adventures, … but you absolutely refuse to have one, eh? :-)

If i went to a, more or less, exotic place like that, i could probably find a solution for both the Leatherman drama and the bureaucracy.

You have to fly to place like that with a different mindset.

I really appreciate that someone has a “Trip Advisor” like site for pilots to give one a clue as to what to expect. I often use Trip Advisor for places to stay and so far have avoided all the nonsense that some might become involved with at a place that is not consistent in excellence. I really dont mind dropping money if I receive value for it.

Now solving the Leatherman type drama is simple, go Spartan. However Im curious, how you would solve the Bureaucracy problem? Bureaucracy was pretty evident just by looking at their price list in which the only thing they missed was the price of using their bathroom facilities and toilet paper. Everything else seemed to be covered with a price.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

how you would solve the Bureaucracy problem?

With time.

When I was at Tivat, they had a problem with our weapons grade oranges and bottle of wine. They were insisting that I couldn’t take this as cabin baggage, but had to check-in. So they organised someone to open a check in booth, so we could check in our baggage, then they drove our baggage to the aircraft with a very old tractor, where we stowed it in much the same place where we would have stowed it if we carried it ourselves And that service was even free of charge. So in the end it worked, it just needed some time to sort out.

But yes, they’re inflexible. It would have been easy to get there from Dubrovnik VFR along the coast at 1000’. But they didn’t accept that, they wanted us to fly an IFR approach, through a lingering occlusion, down to minimum followed by circling. And the IFR approach is quite demanding, given the surrounding terrain.

Last Edited by tomjnx at 20 Nov 09:14
LSZK, Switzerland

I do that too, and there’s a german site that has many reports, eddh.de

If I flew down there I would do it not with the expectation I could “change” anything but with a more adventurous mindset. I should talk, eh :-) Some peope at airports have really set me up. But I am trying to change my attitude twds these things.

The “adventure” to explore a foreign place – can be a value too. If I flew my Cirrus from Munich down there, you think € 100 would make a difference? I do not want to sound snobby, but if it makes a difference than I cannot afford the flight altogether.

I for one have decided to not let these things upset me too much.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 20 Nov 09:25

I wonder what kind of intelligence it takes to work at an airport? I mean the orange story is head shaking. Cant they see what they are having you do is useless to the extreme.

Just curious why not VFR if the airport is VFR? Was it due to crossing international borders?

KHTO, LHTL

Flyer59 wrote:

If I flew my Cirrus from Munich down there, you think € 100 would make a difference?

Thats because a Cirrus is so expensive to operate. The cost overall of airport charges are a fraction of that total cost.

KHTO, LHTL

What year do these reports relate to?

Things change. I could tell stories of 2-3 hours wasted at say Corfu, in 2004, but that was 2004. In Sept 2015 I was in and out in under an hour, landing to takeoff, refuel, paperwork. Shoreham could take that long.

Also people move on… despite the real jobsworth dicks managing to stay at airports for more years than in any other job on earth.

And pilot reports on the (few) airport reporting websites are very sparse. The pilots that visit the more distant places will be a small group… Often they seem to be people who

• do their preflight like if flying from Dortmund to Paderborn
  • think they can do airborne stuff ad-hoc like they can in say Germany (where they have the language, and things mostly “just work”)

Many also like to have a moan at every opportunity. The other day I read of a report from somebody who flew to Greece, landed at a civilian+military airport outside of opening hours, got fined (predictably), slagged the place off in a long forum posting, but really it was due to his crap planning. There were some other angles like inflexible ATC and jobsworth on the ground, but had he done what most people do and not push his timing, he would not have come across the other stuff. Like that French pilot we met at Corfu in 2014 who flew all the way down there with a road atlas…

That said, I have never been on the ground at Montenegro. I have flown over it many times, IFR, always without any issue. But on a VFR c. 2005 they objected to a route on a flight plan. It was OCAS, over the sea, but… that was the only time I recall that somebody didn’t like a VFR flight plan. But that was 2005…

eddh.de is full of really obsolete reports. They may still be correct but only through pure luck. There are far too few contributors.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have moved airport pricing specific posts here

Administrator

Peter I was wondering when you were going to put your foot down.

Can you move post #150 over I cant copy it to there. Thx

Last Edited by C210_Flyer at 20 Nov 10:37
KHTO, LHTL

Done, thanks.

Please start new threads whenever appropriate. It takes me AGES to move posts. It also messes up post numbers (for complicated reasons connected with maintaining the validity of a link to a post after it has been moved).

Administrator
Sign in to add your message