Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Portoroz LJPZ (Piran) Meet-up 5-7 Sep 2015

I do the same: I have no problem with 3 times “say again” and if it’s not clear i stop. Any good airport will send you a Follow Me anyway.

And it’s not only us. Ask my friend who flies 340-600s to O’Hare how stressful the taxi can be … especially in low viz …

Anybody know the anecdote about the BA widebody that stopped on a Frankfurt taxiway? “Is this your first time in Frankfurt”, the impatient ground controller asked. “Actually it’’s not”, answered the British captain coolly. “I was here in 1944, but that was in the dark, and i didn’t land.”

If you line up at a big airport and sit there, how many transport jet crews would not spot the little plane on the runway? 1%? 2%? We know that a certain % of 777 crews cannot even place the 777 on the start of the runway!

So, you are relying on ATC not clearing somebody to land while they cleared you to line up. If they make a mistake, ATC will have a load of paperwork to fill in and probably feel like sh1t, but you will be dead.

So I think disregarding the line-up clearance and just sitting at the runway holding point, if given it just after a 737 has departed, is the only safe option. I will remember this for the next time, but LGAV was the only place in 15 years I have ever been given that.

Anyway, a few pics from Milos

Lots of fresh fruit and veg

Not wishing to minimise the Greek crisis but no queues at ATMs

Great views, though the sunset version will be ever better

Greece is instantly recognised by the colours

Here’s another nice pic of Athens, soon after departure for Milos (a pity about the reflection)

Athens at night – not too bad for a phone

At Athens, you get your €180’s worth with a honourable mention

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

If you line up at a big airport and sit there, how many transport jet crews would not spot the little plane on the runway? 1%? 2%? We know that a certain % of 777 crews cannot even place the 777 on the start of the runway!

So, you are relying on ATC not clearing somebody to land while they cleared you to line up. If they make a mistake, ATC will have a load of paperwork to fill in and probably feel like sh1t, but you will be dead.

If I am lined up and cleared to take off and the time has not passed for wake I will wait. I will prob tell the tower but that is fine. Refusing to line up is not the solution.

EGTK Oxford

In that particular case Peter you can easily get rid of that relfection. Just copy and paste a “piece of sky” just from the left of that reflection and make sure the brightness matches. With a bit of practice, one can get near perfect results. Every now and then, when the pic is worth it, I do that.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Piran again this weekend even more beautiful than last week.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

JasonC wrote:

If I am lined up and cleared to take off and the time has not passed for wake I will wait. I will prob tell the tower but that is fine. Refusing to line up is not the solution.

I have a feeling this may be the reason GA is not wanted at these larger airports.

It could also be that unlike in the US there is so little, little, GA traffic at these larger airports that they are rusty or have forgotten about the wake turbulence danger to the little guys.

There are ways around wake turbulence that minimizes the risks.

Lift off at a point before the guy in front leaves the ground. Fly right or left of there path taking winds into account. Ask the controller to help out with Wake Turbulence by early turnouts.

KHTO, LHTL

boscomantico wrote:

boscomantico 12-Sep-15 14:15 #168
In that particular case Peter you can easily get rid of that relfection. Just copy and paste a “piece of sky” just from the left of that reflection and make sure the brightness matches. With a bit of practice, one can get near perfect results. Every now and then, when the pic is worth it, I do that

Peter does not Paste.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

I have a feeling this may be the reason GA is not wanted at these larger airports.

It could also be that unlike in the US there is so little, little, GA traffic at these larger airports that they are rusty or have forgotten about the wake turbulence danger to the little guys.

I never find it to be a problem. Usually ATC look after it themselves. We are only talking about the case when they don’t.

EGTK Oxford

Good advice, except

Lift off at a point before the guy in front leaves the ground

is a problem because “you” will be climbing at 1000fpm (SEP) while a 737 will be doing 3000-5000fpm, so you will fly into his wake if both of you depart on the same track and stay there.

I don’t think there is any dislike of GA at LGAV. There was plenty of it, but the bottom end was piston twins and presumably owned by people who are OK with €300-400. The handling people provide a great service.

The problem I had was that ATC rattle off the taxi instructions very fast, and if you aren’t used to the accent then it can be hard to follow.

Peter does not Paste

I would do something like that (a slicker method is to define an area and tweak the contrast within it) but I have so many photos I don’t have time. Also I find many reflections can be dealt with by cropping. The copy/paste method is good for lots of stuff including removing unwanted people from the background. It is also good for removing spots and such from peoples’ faces… just don’t make the mistake of offering that option to a girl

Administrator

A few pics from Milos. I haven’t started a new thread because originally some people did say they would fly on to Brac and then to Greece…

I noticed that the wx for the flight back to the UK looks seriously crap. The plan is to try to make Bastia or maybe Cannes on one day (17th or 18th Sep, a fuel stop at Corfu) and sit there until it has passed, which may be a few days but as always one cannot tell until one has seen the IR images in the morning.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message