Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Portoroz LJPZ (Piran) Meet-up 5-7 Sep 2015

Peter wrote:

It would be a good location for a fly-in…

I agree !

Jean
EBST, Belgium

On that question of the big variations in charges at LGAV, I got an acknowledgement saying they will investigate and get back to me but I have thus far not heard anything. It sounds like it was a mistake (an under-charge to the pilot who got billed for just a tech stop).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I got back home today after an 12 days VfR trip to Istanbul ( ltfj).

Today we did the leg from LFKC ( Calvi ) to ebci ( Charleroi)
The weather was ok., but low clouds. Better then we expected.

A really nice trip, with a lot of luck with the weather. Belgium now seems very cold and rainy. :-)

Last Edited by Vieke at 22 Sep 21:50
Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Flyer59 wrote:

Flyer59 22-Sep-15 08:40 #262
Split airport has always provided very good service to me. The people there were always exceptionally friendly. Before we judge that they are all lazy idiots we should maybe know more about the background (like: how many people do they have for these 70 flights, how many other rescources, why is 70 flights the limit, etc.).

Never said they were idiots. I was referring to the govt worker mentality in general for all airports and nations. Unless one worked on a performance basis you (speaking generally to the ubiquitous you, meaning everyone) have no clue what work is. My personal work experience having done both, has led me to my opinion. Then being observant solidified my opinion into conviction.

Do you really think 70 movements a day is a lot? We have non towered uncontrolled airports in the US that have that many movements in 2hrs…. all day long. Thinking weekends.

Of course if with each landing the powers that be require an hours work of paperwork before the next landing can take place it can slow things down. Im only guessing but I dont think that is the case at most airports. It would be interesting to ask them why they cant handle more movements. Where is the bottleneck? I venture to say it is with management or rather lack thereof.

Why do you need PPR because of parking limitations only to arrive at a deserted ramp? Its all about mental attitude. If I get the same paycheck if one plane arrives or 100 why would I want the latter? I would just have to work harder. So if I have the ability to decrease the numbers why not? And so they do. Then we as pilots ask, why the arbitrary number?

KHTO, LHTL

The GA ramp at Split is rarely deserted in the summer and the paperwork is minimal in Croatia. Whenever they have the space they let you come.

No, 70 flights per day is not much by US standards, but it looks like in other countries they are maybe not used/prepared/equipped for it? Whatever the reasons are – the reason is not that the people there are lazy.

Of course this situation could be improved, and it probably will.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 24 Sep 05:55

In Western-Europe if an airport had a limit on the total of movements you can bet your house that this is due to the pressure of airport nuisance commitees upon politicians.

EBST, Belgium

C210_Flyer wrote:

Why do you need PPR because of parking limitations only to arrive at a deserted ramp? Its all about mental attitude. If I get the same paycheck if one plane arrives or 100 why would I want the latter? I would just have to work harder. So if I have the ability to decrease the numbers why not? And so they do.

Yep.

70 movements per day means less than 10 per hour if one takes 12 hours as the active time, even less if it’s a 24 hours airport.

And parking restrictions for small planes is a joke, or if you prefer an outright fraud in most cases. I realize there are some which are so extremely tight that they indeed have such problems, but the overwhelming part are not. There, it is simply the attitude : Today we have real airplanes, so stay away with your toys. Never mind that all they have to do with the “toys” is write a bill and maybe fill in a statistic. They still don’t want them. Disgusting.

airways wrote:

In Western-Europe if an airport had a limit on the total of movements you can bet your house that this is due to the pressure of airport nuisance commitees upon politicians

Or maybe unions who define how much their members may work?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

Climbing FL210

Your TB20 has the single-engine climb performance of a DA42 at MTOW at sea level!

LFPT, LFPN

No, it is not true that Split airport does not “want” us.

I have flown there from 1996 and it was always very enjoyable. The airport is pretty small and so is the general aviation ramp. The two times i was there this year it was always full. But I always got the PPR if I sent eMail a week before.

Also nobody ever had an arrogant attitude there, they were always just very friendly.

General aviation simply does not have the tradition and importance in some countries. And how could it have a tradition or an active flying scene if the average income is € 800. And yet Croatia is very different from Greece – where bureaucracy is overwhelming and where every guy with a microphone feels like a general.

unions who define how much their members may work

No, that is southern Europe.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
Sign in to add your message