Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Recommendations for this summer in Sweden

I second Martin’s suggestions about destinations.

Although, I haven’t been there myself, Stegeborg ( ESVE) is said to be very nice.

If you’re going to visit Stockholm, there is the problem with airport availability. Stockholm/Bromma (ESSB) is nowadays hostile to GA – high charges and you need PPR because of artificially limited parking space or you have to use a handler and park on their apron.

The options are Uppsala/Sundbro (ESKC), Norrtälje/Mellingeholm (ESSN), Gnesta/Vängsö (ESSZ), Eskilstuna (ESSU), Västerås/Hässlö (ESOW) or Västerås/Johannisberg (ESSX) – and of course Stockholm/Arlanda (ESSA). All nice places. IFR approaches are possible to ESSU, ESOW and ESSA. All except Arlanda requires a taxi ride and then extended public transport to get into Stockholm.

Actually, although Arlanda has compulsory handling, it might not be such a bad choice because getting into town is quick and easy.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 17 Jun 10:27
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

It’s been many years since I flew in my hometown Stockholm. I trained at Bromma (ESSB), but as Airborne mentioned, the CAA there is treating GA like pure shit. They just want us out and only care about airlines and the big jets. Barkarby (ESKB) is now long gone and shut down and so is Tullinge (ESCN). This only leaves Skå-Edeby (ESSE) in the Stockholm region left, and it’s on the shorter side and grass only. It’s also not that easy to get to with ground transportation.

Disgraceful the way they’ve ruined it for GA in the finest European tradition, shutting down every single airport around the capital. I almost hope they get some kind of natural disaster or something so they realize that GA isn’t just obviously rich bastards in their own Piper Cub’s (sarcasm) but also fire fighting, medevac, police helicopters, relief etc. Then they would perhaps understand that it’s not that smart to have a medevac helicopter be based 2hrs away. Let them bitch then.

I have Svenska Flygfält which still arrives in single leaf paper form. Never use the binder but only the Ipad app.
Anybody know if they have a part subscription avoiding the paper only for the App?

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

This is a topic popping-up frequently – looking for destination. I guess all of us are sometimes looking for destination with no particular interest in mind, sometimes even no region, just to have some (even minor) justification to fly there.
I believe some clickable maps – something like this one (with more granularity of course) would be great. This community is big enough to create sufficient database. I am aware of you-fly.com but the map proposed will serve the purpose better – even it has (also) links to you-fly.com. Do we have anybody proficient in HTML/whatever enough to create chart of europe with clickable airports and some easy edit tool to add flight critical data like “good restaurant and rental bikes facility”? Euroga.org HQ, is this something you would like to have here – of course, there must be IFR tick-box ;-)

LKKU, LKTB

AdamFrisch wrote:

This only leaves Skå-Edeby (ESSE) in the Stockholm region left, and it’s on the shorter side and grass only. It’s also not that easy to get to with ground transportation.

ESSE is still the most convenient of the fields in the area from a ground transportation point of view. I didn’t include it in my list because it is PPR and my understanding is that it has limited capacity. But I may be wrong about that.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Although, I haven’t been there myself, Stegeborg ( ESVE) is said to be very nice.

Checked the website. It looks very nice. We will put it on our routing.

The options are Uppsala/Sundbro (ESKC)

We have been there once. But to other users: Be careful and check the website bofore. ESKC is closed for traffic every second sunday and it is only publised on their website. When we have been there we gave them a phonecall before and they missed to tell us about the closing on sunday. So we got a real sundaymorning surprise when arriving on the field, wanting to depart to the Ålands.

Gnesta/Vängsö (ESSZ)

Can you tell me a little bit more about the field and the possibilities around the field (acommondation, sightseeing, lakes, …) As we know Stockholm we won’t use it as a destination to visit Stockholm.

Stockholm/Arlanda (ESSA). Actually, although Arlanda has compulsory handling…

Do you have anny information about the fees at Arlanda and maybe could recommend a handling company? In some countries there are handling companies giving discounts to AOPA members.

EDDS , Germany

Michal wrote:

I believe some clickable maps – something like this one (with more granularity of course) would be great.

There is this OurAirports with a clickable/zoomable map. Don’t know how updated it actually is, but lots of airports there.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

martin-esmi wrote:

- Höganäs ESMH, every tuesday they have a small fly-in and serve herring sandwiches. A popular thing for the local flyers.
- Hässleholm ESFA, every wednesday a similar fly-in but serving waffles instead. Yummy!
- Visingsö,a small island in Vättern, very popular in summer
- Visby (ESSV) Gotland, a very popular city for Swedes. Avoid the week of June 28→July 5, then it’s a huge conference with all politicians and policy people who think they are very important ;)
- Anholt (Denmark), a small island in the middle of Öresund. Great beaches and a small harbour with a few restaurants. 45 minute walk from the airport to the harbour

Further north, Gargnäs is very nice as well as Siljansnäs. If you continue north there are some beautiful sights around Kebnekaise and Kiruna, but remember to be prepared for such a flight as it’s in the mountainous area.

Thank you very much Martin.

I put ESFA (Hässleholm) as well on our routing as ESSI (Visingsö). The waffles have been a real convincing argument. :-)
I know Högänas very well. The have done once our 100h maintenace on the our Piper Arrow. Great guys.
Visby I also do recommend, I have been there 4 weeks ago.
Never heard before about Gargnäs (ESUG), but I have had a look on the internet after your advice and have choosen it as destination when going more to the north.

Can you tell me a little bit more about the sights in the north arround Kebnekaise and Kiruna. We do have two weeks to fly arround so it will be nice to continue to the north. At the beginning of June I have been at Lulea, years ago in Kiruna itself. And we would like to discover more of the area.

EDDS , Germany

boscomantico wrote:

I wouldn’t go to Malmö. A huge, mostly deserted airport with zero GA atmosphere. Far from Malmö city, which isn’t the most exciting.

I have been there at the end of may and it was realy nice. There is a cheap Airport-Bus which will take yout to Malmö City. http://www.flygbussarna.se/en/malmo

And the city itself is nice to see and if you like to get some realy good food check out http://bastardrestaurant.com/ . :-)

BTW: When departing we got some problems with a conflicting flightplan at brussels and the guy on the tower was very helpful to get the problem solved.

EDDS , Germany

Can recommend Siljansnas having spent time there as it was one of my case study AirParks for my MSc. http://www.siljanairpark.se/

There is some pilot accommodation, a couple of twin room wooden chalets with bathroom facilities and sauna en bloc a short walk away. A club house where you can cook yourself something.

There is also a museum on site with some amazing aircraft, and also the Siljansnas Brewery.

The residents are very friendly and its only a short walk into the village. A craft gift shop and supermarket, a nice hotel restaurant a taxi ride away and a couple of local eateries.

When I was there I was able to borrow a car for the cost of fuel

PM me if you want direct contact details

Last Edited by Jude098 at 19 Jun 17:40
EGBJ, EGBP, EGTW, EGVN, EGBS
Sign in to add your message