Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Meet-up in Sweden, Malmo ESMS

I suggest that given the specific system setup the conclusion of fuel induction icing (which has been reached on account of purported alternate air box icing) is not appropriate.

OK, maybe it wasn’t icing, or wasn’t the type of icing suggested. But it could be an indicator of a systemic problem in the aircraft type. Obviously such an opinion is controversial, especially given the aircraft type, but that’s life… I have no problem going public with an issue in the TB20 because that is worth doing because it may save somebody’s life. And without any post-incident information we don’t know, and have to assume the worst i.e. there is an issue with the system.

Anyway, one would not get icing unless one was flying in IMC.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A systemic problem that happened once? You seem to be 120% convinced it was ice based on your TB experience – so why don’t you take us through the steps for that to happen as they apply to the Cirrus vs the TB20 engine setup? The two are vastly different – if only due to the turbo and intercooler effect on airflow.

Icing of what other type would it be then?

Sjoerd’s temporary loss of power was far from having induction icing as the only possible or even likeliest explanation. To me a turbo related issue sounds much more likely.

Last Edited by achimha at 25 Aug 14:51

It is a shame the engine data never got pulled / shared – it would have been pretty conclusive I think.

Here is the rest of the trip…

Still on the way there – a curious installation

A GA airfield on a strip of land

A better pic of Helgoland

A military airport, with most of the runway flooded

Lots of colourful buildings

These are houseboats. One of them had a big party on it and when the people all walked over to one side, it toppled over

In the background is a miniature version of the US World Trade Centre

We went to a little show at a little local grass airfield

There was a $850k SR22 loaded with all the options

So they do have static wicks – some older ones didn’t I believe…?

The IR camera

A new DA40

with conventional avionics, presumably for flying schools

I had a close look at this Rotax installation

Automotive (cheap) waterproof connectors; these are OK for a while and probably not under a high speed water spray

All this stuff is going to get water all over it, too. Really unsatisfactory!

They have more hangarage than Shoreham!

The miniature WTC again

This was a really nice square in the town, with nice cafes etc

There is a big park with lakes – really nice

The flight back… the local wx was nice, with recent rain and a brief TSRA during the night

I looked for blue holes to climb up through. Plan B was a track to the east (which was clear).

Here’s a good one – about FL150

but I had to fly well to the right of the track

Eventually went into some IMC, climbing to FL190, -15C. Given the two previous engine issues I was watching the EGT like a hawk (for any fuel starvation) and with a hand ready to pull the alt air (which I did periodically test for getting frozen up) but all was perfect – probably because I was using full prop TKS. However I did get extremely unusual pure-rime icing at -15C which I have never seen before

I had to descend immediately to FL180 because FL190 could not be held, due to the speed loss.

Then there was an hour or two of blue skies

and eventually most of the rime ice came off

Nearer the UK (I asked for a shortcut to DVR, due to wx to the left) it became darker and here we are between layers, descending gradually FL120 – FL110

The Thuraya XT phone did work, after I spent some of the blue-sky time to sort out this

In the UK now, FL070 – FL060

About 30nm to run

This is actually a patch of very dense fog over the sea, lying on the water

Wx to the south of Shoreham was nice

Positioning for right base for 07. The hard runway was closed due to recovery work following the Hunter crash 2 days before

And more rain on final approach…

You can see which bit of the route (very roughly drawn here) was the blue-sky bit

The flight was one of the most difficult ones I have done, not because of dangers (there was always Plan B and Plan C and the stormscope was clean all the way except to the south east of ESMS where I wasn’t going anyway) but because one had to “work” the whole time.

Administrator

Thanks for the pictures, Peter!

A new DA40

That is an old DA40 with a 180HP Lycoming engine. A next generation DA40 has vertical winglets.

I have done a proper report on this trip, here

I would really appreciate the identification of the various islands and interesting bits on the outbound flight (the return flight was mostly in IMC) and maybe some place names at Malmo.

Many thanks

Administrator

I’m resurrecting this thread since I’m planning trip to Malmo next week. Does anyone have recent info on GA friendliness, pricing, possible PPR required, whether handling is compulsory, etc.? I send e-mail to address provided in AIP but still no answer, hope to get something tomorrow.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Very GA friendly. I do my ME/IR training there, I don’t know about pricing since we have an annual subscription and land there for free. A call to the airport should clear that out (+46 10-109 45 00). If the airport phone number doesn’t work then try the tower, they always answer. No PPR. Handling is not compulsory, you only need “crew transport” if you want transport to and from the terminal. You might also be able to park outside of Sturup FK hangar (SW corner of Apron JB) or Aeroklubben (Apron W) if you give them a call, and then get in and out that way.

If parking outside is not a problem you can also park at ESME (799m asphalt) 10 minutes north of Malmö. Parking there is free. Landing is also free. And if you arrive at a convenient time I can drive you to and from there also for free =)

Svenska Flygfält: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ufd75spwe411mcb/AAAaEa5Qv2xdjE4goWzvclzja?dl=0
AIP: https://aro.lfv.se/Editorial/View/IAIP?folderId=48

Here is some translated relevant information from Svenska Flygfält:

Phone numbers:
Airport: +46 10-109 45 00
TWR: +46 40-613 15 50
Security: +46 10-109 63 42
ACC: +46 40-613 24 00
Sturup Flygklubb: +46 40-50 02 35
Aeroklubben: +46 70-564 62 18

Fuel: AVGAS 100LL, JET A1 (Shell, AirBP or Visa/MasterCard)
Car rental: AVIS +46 40-50 05 15

Important information:
Crew transport is required to and from the terminal. Radio handling after landing (131.5) or call +46 10-109 63 42.
Aeroklubben Malmö at Apron W.
Sturup Flygklubb at SW corner of Apron JB.

Last Edited by Dimme at 13 Jun 20:59
ESME, ESMS

We have been there 4 weeks ago.

No PPR, no handling, very friendly guys. The invoice will come by mail, so you wan‘t waste time before take off. Fuel was available by truck immediately after reaching the parking position.

You should download the Flybusarna App beforehand and then buy the ticket to the town in advance. This will save you a few cents and to take the bus is the cheapest way to go to Malmö.

For diner I recommend the Bastard. You should book a table in advance if you would like to eat inside. In the garden you might get a place without booking. It‘s stylish, there are peoble of every age and inside you can watch the guys cooking.

EDDS , Germany
Sign in to add your message