An eventful trip from Gloucester to Schwabish Hall return

My co-owner and I had an enjoyable and eventful trip:

• Vectored into mid-channel when IFR route filed was direct over London
  • Handled through a couple of large regional airports
  • Light icing
  • RNAV LPV approach into an AFIS towered airport
  • IFR departure from an AFIS towered airport
  • iPad temporary shutdown due to overheating
  • Alternator failure in flight, resulting in total electrical power loss, flying non-radio VFR and landing with the fire crew positioned on standby

Full write-up here

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Nice little trip and well handled! I too would not have extended the gear enroute because I see no reason why the hand pump should be less safe or reliable than then electric pump.

Rich used Aeroplus, which has a benefit of being integrated with SkyDemon so you can import the plan directly. It also has a smartphone App through which you can update and delay filed plans.

Aeroplus is a nice product but allow me to mention that as of this week, autorouter sends out SkyDemon flight plans every time you file a flight plan. You can also download it for all other routes. Click on it in your inbox and your route will open in SkyDemon. Also our site is specifically optimized for mobile devices so you can do the same delay etc. from your phone.

Autorouter just keeps getting better and better

Well done Achimha and Thanks.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Handheld COM fully charged is always in my pilot bag Good job!

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I particularly liked the part where the GPS a called for a right turn, but you turned left. That’s a nice reminder that you always should know where you are going regardless of what the technology tell you because you may have made a mistake when entering the FPL for example.

I’ve had an autopilot (KAP140) start a (180 deg) turn the wrong way in a procedure turn.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 26 Apr 09:57
LFPT, LFPN

Well handled! If not handled properly, an alternator failure in a SEP can turn into a real emergency really quickly.
See N467BD accident at Zurich in 2008. And that aircraft had two alternators!

6 Posts
Sign in to add your message