Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shoreham EGKA to Losinj LDLO 10-12 April 2015

I thought it would be better to post some pics on a new thread…

I started off great (not) by filing the FP for 0900Z instead of 0900L so we started up and were told … however Shoreham ATC cancelled it and refiled for 0830Z, which was fine because you can go 15mins (at least… at a Class G airport) before the filed EOBT. One could do all this on a phone but my Nokia one (Opera Mobile) doesn’t work on the bit of the EuroGA router user interface where one can bring a flight plan forward… My laptop was in the boot.

Of course this broke the tracking link…

The wx was very hazy up to about FL090. The whole flight was done at FL100, up to about 150nm before the Alps and then we climbed very slowly (at +200fpm) to FL150

Brussels

The GPS+flow totaliser forecast the LFOB at 28 USG. We actually improved on that later, with the totally calm conditions turning into a 10-15kt tailwind

A long shortcut across the Alps

Having crossed the less interesting of N Europe, here we go, FL150 but it looked a lot lower

A runway next to a lake, many will know the name of

Fancy a ski?

I haven’t enhanced these yet (Lighroom)

This lake looks almost from the Med

A ridge within a big hole

In the Adriatic now, off Pula

Final for LDLO – started at 7 miles straight in

Bowser refuel and finished. The fuel men were very adamant the fuel is clean, after getting some complaints last May. They said the bowser fuel is regularly tested and the bowser itself is parked in a hangar.

The view from Mare Mare hotel

The 2014 fly-in people will recognise this bit

One for the lady pilots (or indeed non-pilots)

Achim’s boat – flow rate 745 litres/hr at 9kt

Some interesting bunkers in the hillside – presumably for fuel tanks

More later

Saw 2 planes on this flight

About 9000ft below

About 5000ft below

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Achim’s boat – flow rate 745 litres/hr at 9kt

Yes, that’s true but I still haven’t found anything certified for single pilot where they all fit. I’m ready to trade…

Which one of them is you?

(with pilot forums, one can never be 100% sure)

Losinj was damn cold tonight – about +5C. Even though this is 3 weeks before the 2014 fly-in was held, I think it is a lot colder here this year. But the skies are clear and the sunshine makes it warm during the day. And everything is much cheaper… no chance of getting into the Mare Mare hotel, let alone getting the amazing suite we have for the price we are paying.

The flight here took almost exactly 5 hours airborne time.

Administrator

Was your original filed route over the Alps more toward the east or similar to what you actually flew?

HighFly
EDDM

The whole route was very close to the one I posted earlier – Belgium, Germany, etc.

I got KONAK KOK LNO across Belgium.

When I get back I will post the track log from Oziexplorer which can be converted to GPX etc using various online tools.

As regards the route over the Alps, I think it was almost the same as I posted, but with the long shortcut.

Administrator

The Brussels photograph is interesting – from what altitude is that?

It shows the “Parc du Cinquantenaire”, built for the 50th birthday of Belgian independence, by famous king Leopold II who detested music but believed in architecture. One of the halls holds an impressive collection of aircraft, there’s even a Caravelle hanging from the roof. This is a must see for any aviator passing Brussels at a lower level. An impression is here

The X-shaped building at the far left is the EU headquarters, if I’m not mistaken.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

It was FL100.

This is a piece of it, zoomed in 100% but unretouched

Pentax K3 and a 17-70 lens. Could have used a better (longer) lens but I don’t have any 1/2500 F10 ISO2500 70mm.

If you want any of these I can put the full size ones up somewhere.

I think the camera doesn’t focus through the windows. The live view mode (which uses maximised video spectrum components AFAIK) works a lot better.

Here is a pic of the harbour in the evening light

Administrator

We missed some tunnels last year???!!!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Yes; the place is full of them

Administrator

A few more pics…

There is a lovely herb garden. I picked up a few bottles of lavender for stuff around the house… €3 each.

More views the fly-in people will recognise

Plenty of fresh fish

This lot and some other stuff came to 20 quid a person – doesn’t even compare with what you get for that in a British restaurant

Nice colours

The water looks great but you would freeze to death in it

A better version of the previous one

We re-explored the bunkers with a decent camera. This one was obviously a fuel storage place

This was the one we looked into in 2014 – prob99 for storing some heavy things (rails in the floor). We found a section which went deep underground

and these supports suggest probably torpedoes, but big ones

One of the escape ladders

Departure 0800Z tomorrow and I will try to not screw up again

Administrator
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message