Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Atlantic crossing notebook

The most easy to operate system for waste disposal I ever came across was on an AN2 I once flew many moons ago :)

It consisted of a oven tube welded to a metal toilet seat. And it had a label next to it: “Do not use on ground or when flying over inhabited areas.”

Worked well though. And, considering that it was an agricultural airplane, probably the environmentally safest stuff ever to be dumped from it.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Adam,
Pretty sure you are mistaken on the loo situation in Mustangs and Phenom 100s.

Two things I’ve never understood: You buy a SP jet for $2-4 millions. Say a Mustang, a Phenom 100, Eclipse. Range limited to about 1000nm and no lavatory. Surely, for $4 mill I would expect at least a lav. Someone is missing a trick here. Personally, if I had the money in this bracket, would go P180 Avanti. It has a lavatory and can with aux tanks go 1700nm. And will outrun most of these jets on 40% less fuel. Quote

I’ve been in both Mustangs and Phenom 100s with loos. in the mustang it is a bizarre situation, in that it it sort of in the middle of the cabin, not the back, really only useable by a child in an emergency, or perhaps wife/girlfriend with an empty back. It has been a few years since I’ve been in Phenom but I seem to recall it having a loo in the back. But these loos in the little jets are pretty universally emergency only type facilities. I’ve had my four year old son refuse to use the potty in a Citation Jet (non-flushing, filled with some chemical that looked like blue ice) because there wasn’t enough headroom for him to stand up and go.

That said, a couple of the longest hours of my life were during a flight in a Citation jet with four seats in the back and no loo, between Myrtle Beach and White Plains, NY… after a few beers. I’d flown with some colleagues down for business meetings and they had stayed to play golf, so I took the deadhead leg by myself. I though I was going to pop and I was too young and polite to request a Gatorade bottle from the pilots…

[edited while i figure out how to get Adam’s quote to appear indented, i’m not technologically gifted it appears…]

Last Edited by Patrick_K at 06 Apr 04:07
EGTF, LFMD

Achim said, " For Cessnas, there is an extra wing tank option from Flint but I would refrain from installing it as the data I’ve seen shows that they are found in almost all cases where high wing Cessnas had structural wing attachment damage (C210 AD etc.). The further out on the wing, the bigger the lever."

I have to disagree with your above statement. After researching the Flint tip tanks which included speaking to CPA, Flint, Ollie at O&N, and engineers. Everyone was in agreement that in flight 1/2 to full tanks in flight put less stress on the wing than when empty or with no tip tanks. Where the problem with Flint comes in is when people drop the plane in with full tanks on landing. It still has to be an event type drop not just a normal high flare. So any wing can be bent when such occurs. Its just that the drop with Flints cant be that high. What the difference in height would be Im not sure. But when I land with full tips Im extra careful to land gently.

Regarding the AD you should review Posts in the CPA forum. In it you will see that there is a high probability that improper maintenance was a contributing factor.
With all that said you dont have a cantilever wing. So you cant even compare it to the 210 wing.

KHTO, LHTL

Gene, all you confirm is that there is a strong correlation between Cessna wing attachment failure and having Flint tip tanks. I didn’t make any claims as to why it happens, just pointed to that correlation.

That is not correct. There are many Tips flying that dont have Spar cracks. There has never been a failure of the attachment point, cracks yes, failure no. Perhaps with TS penetration but it was not documented that it failed right there. There are 8 planes that generated that AD and I believe 3 or 4 had Tips the rest didnt. Since the AD inspection there has been no other reported cracks found if memory serves me right. That is why Michael is convinced it is a maintenance issue as well as what he uncovered after speaking to the maintenance facilities that had the spar cap issue 6 in Australia.

KHTO, LHTL

Canada and Turtle tanks. I had heard about a year ago that Canada is no longer accepting Turtle tanks. Is there any truth to this?

KHTO, LHTL

We are considering ferrying a C210 across to the USA.
Where could we find the information on legal requirements etc

Is it required with a HF radio below FL250 on the Greenland-Goose Bay leg?

spirit49
LOIH

It is pretty straightforward, below 250 without HF I think you need to go via Iqualuit. If you PM me I can talk to you over the phone about it.

EGTK Oxford

You back in the UK, Jason? If so, how was return trip?

Horrible, but was on commercial carriers…..

EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message