Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Albert Bray LFAQ, anyone been?

It costs me GBP 25 to make a € payment

Can’t you find a bank that supported SEPA? Even in Switzerland you can, so Euro transfers cost you nothing

LSZK, Switzerland

The UK are part of the SEPA zone so you can do Euro SEPA transfers.

Here is one that doesn’t, and charges GBP 25 for SWIFT.

but I cannot imagine who could issue such a rule (ICAO perhaps? but such ruling is not their primary function), nor how it could be enforced.

My recollection (I have no reference – only 12 years of flying “knowledge”, FWIW) is that ATC at international airports is required to speak one of the ICAO languages. These are I think English, French, German, Russian. So in theory all French ATC could just speak French only.

But I also clearly recollect this has been changed within Europe, to require English competence.

In fact the whole business of ELP for ATC has been a massive issue, in southern Europe, where it has been largely disregarded.

Last Edited by Peter at 12 Aug 16:03
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My recollection (I have no reference – only 12 years of flying “knowledge”, FWIW) is that ATC at international airports is required to speak one of the ICAO languages.

I cannot remember having come across a single towered airport in France that does not provide service in English. Even Reims (AFIS) support English. Amiens does not – it is not towered. AFIS only.

Does the mere fact that Customs is available make them an international airport? For the record, I am not a lawyer so I won’t throw the book at anyone.

LFPT, LFPN

Does the mere fact that Customs is available make them an international airport?

For the purpose of this debate, yes, I think so.

Such airports are also known as a Port of Entry – see the “definitive list” in my earlier post.

There are some variations on this e.g. Germany where you can arrange Immigration separately from Customs (more usefully, you can arrange Immigration at airports which do not have Customs), and Italy offers something similar but almost nobody seems to be aware of it…

However I think it is always the case that non-EU non-Schengen flights (i.e. most of the non-European world) still need a Port of Entry.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

However I think it is always the case that non-EU non-Schengen flights (i.e. most of the non-European world) still need a Port of Entry.

Yes indeed, but frankly the term “international airport” does not make much sense, especially in Europe where you can fly from a grass strip w/o ATC in one country to one in another country although none of them have customs/immigration. That still makes it an international flight, doesn’t it? In such case you do need a flight plan.

And even so, what makes a runway with AFIS an airport? (as opposed to an airfield) So the fact that Amiens is a port of entry despite the AFIS not speaking English really does not shock me.

LFPT, LFPN

it is French only on the RT I believe.

Liam, excuse me for being slightly annoyed. You should not “believe”, it is easy enough to check out on the “Carte VAC” which is official info from DGAC, the French CAA. I told you one way to get to them but of course there are several.

APP : NIL
TWR : NIL
AFIS : 123.4 (FR seulement/only). Absence AFIS : A/A (123.4) FR seulement/only.

I think any “international” airport (i.e. one that has Customs) must be English language capable in the tower.

In practice it may well be, in at least 99% of cases, but I cannot imagine who could issue such a rule (ICAO perhaps? but such ruling is not their primary function), nor how it could be enforced.

Yes I have already looked up Amiens on the Carte VAC the reason I said believe is because I have heard from other sources that the Tower is quite capable of speaking good English but they simply chose not to. So yes the official line is French RT only which is not putting me off visiting but in my opinion at an “Airport” willing to accept international flights then it might be a good idea to at least use the ICAO language of choice if required to assist in the safe and swift arrival of said international flights.

Having said that, where is the challenge there :)

[edited to fix up the quotes which I think are the quotes…]

Last Edited by Peter at 15 Aug 08:35
Last Edited by Liam at 15 Aug 03:43
EGCN

Liam, your quotes were dropped, so it is difficult to read…

There may be one simple explanation to the fact that the a/d has customs but ATS is FR only: someone with lots of connections in high places has a jet on the field, and the pilots are French

Last Edited by Aviathor at 15 Aug 08:28
LFPT, LFPN

Or they are unable/unwilling to hire a sufficient number of radio operators with the required qualification.

BTW mind you, Liam, as radio is mandatory at LFAY (“AD réservé aux ACFT munis de radio.”) yet does R/T in FR only, you are subject to the requirement of formal French Language Profiency – and there are rumours on the www that this is verified in ramp checks.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

you are subject to the requirement of formal French Language Profiency – and there are rumours on the www that this is verified in ramp checks.

I think I am in a heap of trouble. I am fluent in French, but do not have the French language proficiency in my license… I have been wondering how I could get the Norway CAA to add this to my license. They refused to add my English language proficiency to my license because I took the exam at the French DGAC.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message