Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stockholm

Even though no trip report this time, here are some photos of the approach into Stockholm-Bromma. The ILS 30 must be one of the most scenic ILSes in Europe.

First of all, here’s the approach plate:

Coming the the south, the base leg is over the suburbs of Stockholm.

Turning onto the ILS.

The remaining ones have been taken whilst on the ILS.

By the way, this the the eastern apron mentioned above. The have no more than 5 parking positions on the part belonging to the airport authority.

These photos just to compensate a tiny bit for all the previous bad talk about GA in Stockholm…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 16 Aug 16:52
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

My lovely home for the past six months. Thanks for the pics!
I was actually looking into flying over there but it mainly failed due to the fact that I had to renew my language proficiency test and this is only possible in your home country….
There is still one GA club renting out PA-28 at Bromma, but I think they have some connections to SK.

EDAV, Germany

There is still one GA club renting out PA-28 at Bromma, but I think they have some connections to SK.

If you are thinking of the SAS flying club, they have relocated to Norrtälje (ESSN).

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Hello All,

I’ve got a friend who’s moved to Stockholm and will want to visit this year. Which is the best IFR airport to visit, and what are the fees?

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

That is probably a question for @Airborne_Again

EGTR

A short and not complete answer.

For IFR, ESSB is a wonderful and close city airport, but with significant fees and somewhat reduced opening hours during weekends. ESOW (based there) is further away, a fantastic and very reasonably priced GA IFR airport, but look closely at opening hours. For both airports, make sure you follow PPR regulations.

Last Edited by AndersB at 26 Jan 12:13
ESOW, Sweden

I used to use Skavsta ESKN, IFR, reasonable prices in 2017. when I was last time there.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I agree with AndersB. If you can stomach the fees at ESSB, then it is the obvious choice being located in the city itself and with very good public transport.

I also wouldn’t discount Arlanda ESSA. You need a slot and a handler but given that commercial traffic still haven’t recovered from the pandemic, it shouldn’t be too difficult to get a slot. There is at least one handling company (Grafair) with reasonable (I didn’t say cheap) fees. Of course, ESSA won’t have AVGAS.

Alternatives are ESOW, ESSU and ESKN. They are all quite far away from Stockholm.

ESOW is indeed a very nice and reasonably priced GA airport. You have to take a taxi to the railway station (10-15 minutes) and then you have a one hour train trip to Stockholm. The airport is open H24 but is PPR at all times. This is motivated by the intense flight training activities but in my experience PPR is easy to get. If you want to use the airport during TWR opening hours, you request PPR from the TWR, otherwise from the GA Centre. According to the AIP, you need a written agreement with the airport to use it outside TWR hours, but the GA Centre has such an agreement and has been authorised to handle PPR requests.

ESKN is open H24 and has direct bus connections to Stockholm (80 minute trip), but the schedule depends on the airline departures/arrivals.

ESSU is also a possibility, but less convenient than either ESOW or ESKN.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 26 Jan 13:47

I’ve used ESOW last year and it was indeed a very uncomplicated airport. All fuel types are available with credit or carnet cards. Upon landing, I’ve asked for PPR with the tower. Upon departure on a sunday (when tower was closed), I received a written E-Mail from the aeroclub with a positive PPR, stating: “You may leave, whenever you want”. Don’t forget to ask for the access code on the doors in the GA-Centre / aeroclub house, otherwise, you wouldn’t be able to get to your airplane again without assistance. Furthermore, I never received any invoice from the airfield and nobody wanted my money on site.

There is a direct bus from the passenger terminal to Stockholm central station, but their time schedule is based on the few airliners. Nonetheless, there is also a city bus close to the GA-Centre, where you can get to the train station, or you get a taxi as @Airborne_Again stated. If you’re lucky, someone from the aeroclub brings you to the station as well.

Last Edited by Frans at 26 Jan 16:16
Switzerland

Frans wrote:

Don’t forget to ask for the access code on the doors in the GA-Centre / aeroclub house, otherwise, you wouldn’t be able to get to your airplane again without assistance.

The code is posted next to the airside GA Centre door.

There is a direct bus from the passenger terminal to Stockholm central station, but their time schedule is based on the few airliners.

Currently, Ryanair operates two flights a week to and from Västerås, so don’t count on this…

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 26 Jan 18:40
Sign in to add your message