Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EuroGA Summer 2014 Fly-In - Corsica 5-8 September

Amazing pics

The last few times I have been over the Alps I didn’t see a thing. Well maybe a rock or two…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Dear Lenthamen, his is not lake Constance but lake Lucerne with the town of Brunnen, the other is the Oberalppass grew up there, what was your routing to get this two pics ?

Regards Lucas

Hi Lucas, we were flying Friedrichshaven EDNY to Calvi LFKC via the route as shown below.
After departing EDNY we were put on an initial heading (Fly heading 270 and climb FL140).
Once we got at FL140 we got a “Own navigation direct ODINA”. So we didn’t fly over the TRA Trasadingen VOR…

I’ve a lot of nice photos; will upload them in a separate thread.

Has anyone thought of doing a fly-in to Lido (LIPV) airport in Venice? It’s right in the middle of town, grass, has avgas and cheap parking. Talk about a good city to visit for those coming along who are not necessarily into airplanes…

Sounds brilliant but please have a thought for those who have neither IR nor Oxygen to get over the Alps from the north. Of course there is a lower level way but a massive detour required. Unless someone can suggest a way.

UK, United Kingdom

If ever I fly into Northern Italy, as Bosco keeps pushing me to, LIPV is high on the wish list. And yes, for me this will mean a big tour Easterly, through Hungary and Slovenia, taking several days. Perhaps perhaps in August or September 2015…
Mind you, LIPV only accepts microlights of the “Avanzato” category so requires transponder and ELT. Transponder will have to be there, but I’m not sure I’ll have budget remaining for the ELT, too. Something tells me it wouldn’t really be an issue, there.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Of course there is a lower level way but a massive detour required

Huh? People regularly cross the alps at maybe ~10000ft (or even below) VFR in VMC – so what is the problem, exactly?

I’m rather expecting some of the IFR crowd not to be happy with LIPV, as it neither has 2km runway nor IFR procedures. But LIPZ is close and apparently PPR is obtainable…

LSZK, Switzerland

Sadly, I think that for EuroGA fly-ins one needs Customs (so people can fly in from the UK, Switzerland and Norway). Not having this means an extra stop, in both directions.

IFR capability is perhaps negotiable, because we are not likely to be doing it in really bad weather.

LIPV is also grass which will rule out some types.

If a fly-in was to be done to Venice then I would suggest going to Padova and there is a very simple train to Venice of about 45 mins. Padova has Customs, avgas, and IFR. They will however refuse a landing clearance if they think you have not done the Customs PNR and they did that to me once…

You don’t need oxygen to cross the Alps but you need very clear weather to do it then. I think a crossing is possible at about 9000ft, but there are experts here on that… I fly straight over at FL140-190. When I used to go VFR I went at similar levels.

I started a thread on the May 2015 fly-in here and currently it will be Prague.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

People regularly cross the alps at maybe ~10000ft (or even below) VFR in VMC – so what is the problem, exactly?

I for one consider myself a beginner pilot, and with all one hears told about mountain flying and its dangers, I deem it too early in my (haha) career for such a venture. I came close to getting myself in serious trouble over the Eifel, a couple of weeks ago – never mind the Alps!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

LIPV does have customs by prior arrangement.

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message