Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Zurich LSZH as a GA destination

Frans wrote:

And not to forget Samedan (LSZS), which has reasonable landing fees, but does get expensive with parking and additional fees like AFIS, Pax, Snow-Removal etc.

Quite incomplete since it also needs a qualification and related currency, before being operated into…

As for ZRH, one of the, if not the, worst airport in the world, considering CHF144 for handling/landing as “reasonable” makes me cringe…

There are quite a few ports of entry in CHE, try LSZF, LSGL, LSZG, LSZL, LSZA, LSGS, etc. No slots, no handling, and really reasonable fees, all sans the superior attitude of LSZH

ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

DeeCee57 wrote:

Quite incomplete since it also needs a qualification and related currency, before being operated into…
I was replying on the fees, not about the PIC requirements. LSZH needs at least for VFR also a online test.

DeeCee57 wrote:
As for ZRH, one of the, if not the, worst airport in the world, considering CHF144 for handling/landing as “reasonable” makes me cringe…
You can’t compare Zurich with some GA-airfield. It’s one of Europe’s major airports and therefore for it’s size quite reasonably priced. Compare it with EHAM, EDDF, LIMC, LOWW etc. All of them are quite more expensive. For sure I agree that the’re many more cheaper ports of entry, but if you want a direct connection into the city and a real “airport” experience, LSZH might be one of the most affordable “big” airports in Europe.
Switzerland

Here is an old report from LSZH – I wonder how much has changed?

@placido might still be based there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, Zurich is expensive, no question. What you get in return however is customs and immigration (Schengen and non Schengen) and in principle quite good opening hours from 6am to 10 pm. It is also the only IFR airport in the vicinity of Zurich.

However, the big problem for Zurich is PPR and of course the compulsory handling, which makes it expensive.

The slot restrictions basically kill most of the good opening hours for GA, particularly VFR. During the Covid shutdown, slot restrictions were massively relaxed but now they are back in force.

So if you need IFR, Non-Schengen and Customs and are not squeamish about landing fees, then Zurich is a good choice.

Otherwise, go elsewhere.

IFR you can go to Bern or to Altenrhein/St. Gallen

VFR there is Birrfeld or Speck.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I should know the answer to this… Flying into Zurich from within Schengen, does one need customs upon exit of France (let’s say) and upon entry into Zurich (which has customs so no issue).
The way back is clear, I need customs upon arrival in let’s say Annecy… (which is PN)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

Flying into Zurich from within Schengen, does one need customs upon exit of France (let’s say) and upon entry into Zurich (which has customs so no issue).

Yes. You need to pre-advise customs in ZRH via handling, as they are no longer just there but usually that is done with your slot request.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

VFR there is Birrfeld or Speck.
For sure, but those airfields are not so good connected to the city, compared to LSZH. From Birrfeld, you still need to walk a bit to the station Lupfig and around one hour traveling by train. It’s all doable, but not as optimized as from LSZH.
Switzerland
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message