Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

May 2014 EuroGA fly-in Mali Losinj LDLO

How much is a good, but simple, ‘portable’ o2 system ?

A few hundred quid, or less if bought used.

What does ‘the book’ say about going ‘on-top’ in that part of the world WITHOUT an IR.

There are very few countries in Europe that ban VFR above an overcast. The UK used to ban it till April 2012, and still does ban it for UK national PPLs.

I have no ice protection.

That’s relevant only if flying in IMC between 0C and about -15C, which you don’t want to be doing enroute, or for any significant time anytime.

I have the Brit. IMCRIMC Rating. Think EASA now call this an IR R – IR Restricted, but with big limitations. No ILS’s for starters.

That (about the ILS) is incorrect. On the IMCR or IR you can fly any IAP, UK airspace, Class D-G, and down to the minima published on the approach chart, subject only to a min ATC-reported visibility of 1800m. Not valid for IFR outside UK airspace however.

We are just doing a mailshot to all registered EuroGA members about the fly-in, with a suggestion to post any questions on routes etc here. (The mailing is going very slowly, one per minute, to minimise being classed as spam). We will probably do another one later to gauge how many might turn up. I will contact the airport also re the group discount (they are on the list, but I also emailed them some time ago, with no response, so they know about it) but 25% off is probably about the price of a grilled squid

Last Edited by Peter at 23 Feb 18:58
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I would gladly join the fly in but don’t own an aircraft. If somebody flies from LSZH or would like to make a short landing, I would be glad to fly with you and take part in the whole planning, etc.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Looks like (at the moment) that I could come after all. At least for two days, with one of my kids. By mistake i had the schoool holidays in my calender one month too eary…. but now it looks like i have a SLOT ;-)

IN 2013 i went twice to Losinj, both time via Salzburg, and then VFR routing via Villach, Bled and Divaca, all below FL100 a very nice trip, in April Dubrovnik was the destination,. In september Kastellorizo /Greece near the Turkish border just after Rhodos

I’m planning to come with a DA40 from Lelystad EHLE, together with two fellow Diamond Flyer members.
We will probably have a stop somewhere in Southern Germany.

I’m with two VFR-only pilots so we will (hopefully) do some legs VFR.

I put it in my planning. But being VFR, I rate the chance of finally arriving there at maybe 50%.

So do count me in for now Peter, probably 2 people and one Mooney.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I would gladly join the fly in but don’t own an aircraft. If somebody flies from LSZH or would like to make a short landing, I would be glad to fly with you and take part in the whole planning, etc.

The Avenger – I might be able to stop LSZH, or nearby.

I’m looking at my options for this trip (which is a big one for me) from North England (EGCF) in a normally aspirated PA28 Arrow.

I’ve done Berlin and deep France in the past, but it’s The Alps x’ing for which I have to ‘sharpen my pencil’ !!

I haven’t got any UK pilot to P2 with me as yet. I rent this Arrow and the trip is a big cost and I wouldn’t say no to ‘cost share’.

I have the UK IMCR only, so it would be VFR in Europe.

Is it cost effective to land at LSZH ?, or at least near by. It would do as my re-fuel stop and may be a bed for the night.

I need all the help I can get on planning The Alps transit. Right now I’m looking at Innsbruck and then South over The Brenner Pass.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

When I last went down that way VFR I stopped at Grenchen which is close to Zurich. It has avgas and customs. Back then it had a lot of model flying going on and “real planes” could arrive during a brief slot at the top of each hour – I vaguely recall it was on a weekend. The trip is this one. Grenchen was very efficient, but they did take 30 quid off me for not having a noise certificate

However one is probably talking about ending up north of the middle of the Alps so really the next leg would be straight over the top (via RESIA or similar). Very very scenic

but you need to have a calm wind day and go across about FL120-130, or appropriately higher if there is wind.

Administrator

That (about the ILS) is incorrect. On the IMCR or IR you can fly any IAP, UK airspace, Class D-G, and down to the minima published on the approach chart, subject only to a min ATC-reported visibility of 1800m. Not valid for IFR outside UK airspace however.

Sorry Peter, I know the IMCR in UK is no prob. for an ILS etc. etc.. – as it always has been.

I meant that the ‘big limitations’ of the IMCR was in Europe and no ILS is one of them.

Last Edited by WarleyAir at 25 Feb 12:27
Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

I meant that the ‘big limitations’ of the IMCR was in Europe and no ILS is one of them.

I may be misunderstanding you but the “ILS” is irrelevant.

It is the IFR privilege of the IMCR which is limited to UK airspace.

Unless Country X has some rule which says “any instrument approach = IFR” then you can fly an ILS (or any other instrument approach) anywhere, on a plain PPL.

I am not aware of any country which has such a rule, explicitly stated in those terms. Is there one? I vaguely recall a thread here a while ago.

The issue is likely to be with ATC procedures, because if they clear you to fly say an ILS then you are cleared for the whole approach procedure all the way to the decision height, and for the missed approach, and if you enter IMC on the way along then you become illegal, and the outcome of that may cause them problems (even if you don’t kill yourself). What they don’t want is to clear somebody for an IAP and halfway down he calls up saying “s**t there is a cloud ahead” and suddenly heads off at 90 degrees (or some random heading) to one side, conflicting with other traffic. ATC are not pilot licensing policemen but they might still be uncomfortable with clearing what appears to be a VFR-only pilot onto an IAP. On a nice day, I think most of them will let you, but on a nice day you don’t need an IAP

In practice, if you turn up somewhere (outside the UK) on a non-Eurocontrol-filed flight and ask for an IAP, they will probably assume it’s a training flight and will either just let you, or might query whether you have booked a training slot or whatever. In the UK, with the IMCR being widespread, most airports will let you without a comment unless they have traffic issues (e.g. somebody has booked a training slot).

Administrator
Sign in to add your message