Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Crossing the North Sea - would you do it in a piston single?

but never went because I could not find 3 consecutive days at ENVA of non-icing flyable wx …

Yes indeed, I would say that is almost impossible. Flying in Norway requires huge amounts of flexibility in a non-FIKI SEP

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks for the responses so far.

To give a little more background:

• I would be flying my NA SR22. I have flown it since new, it has 800 hours TT, never had any engine surgery, uses very little oil and never missed a single beat in all those 800 hours. I would depart with full tanks.
  • of course, I would be flying IFR, day only, summer only and I would only fly in benign weather. Re altitude, I would have to look into this in more detail. There seems to be a danger area off the west coast of Denmark that doesn’t allow plans to validate at any higher then 5000 feet, but I would definitely want to fly at least FL100.
  • I would get a raft, vests and a PLB. No suit however; this is supposed to be fun after all and not a ferry flight.

…or maybe in the end I’ll just go the long way ’round….

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Nov 15:32

Boscomantico: in the end your SR22 doesn’t know if it is flying above water or not. I stopped worrying about this part and focus on recurrent training as most of the accidents happen due to pilot error. It is the same story as flying at night. Where do you land in case of an engine failure? In the Cirrus at least we still have a CAPS/chute system that will bring us down, which also might work over large bodies of water (see Bahamas ditch on COPA).

EDLE, Netherlands

your SR22 doesn’t know if it is flying above water or not. I stopped worrying about this part and focus on recurrent training as most of the accidents happen due to pilot error.

Absolutely agree. In fact, I am not afraid of crossing waters. Otherwise, I guess I wouldn’t even consider this flight…

I did it plenty of times in a well maintained piston single. While I won’t pretend that doing it in the 20s flight levels didn’t help, you just have to get over the fear. Would I do it in a rental single at low altitude at night? No.

EGTK Oxford

Looking at the RocketRoute screenshot in the OP:

If I was going to do this flight in my SR22 N/A (the same aircraft as the OP), I wouldn’t do it at the FL 50 shown in the plan. When I fly the channel I always fly as high as I can – usually FL160 or 170, always IFR, depending on direction unless there is a really bad head wind – as that gives me the best glide range and highest TAS

On the subject of TAS, the RR plan shows a TAS of 170 KTS, I don’t think I could get that at FL 50 flying LOP: does that mean you habitually fly ROP and what fuel flow would that be? At FL 160 I get about 170 KTAS burning 12.5 US GPH. If you haven’t already done so, you might want to read the “Red Fin” article on LOP ops that can be found in the Copapedia on the COPA site.

On the subject of emergency kit: in addition to items already listed: PLB, raft, life jackets (worn, not just carried), waterproof grab bag, I carry a streamer and a laser signalling device.

I also strongly recommend a dunker course for anyone flying regularly over water: it’s surprising how hard it is to right and then get into a life raft even in a swimming pool if you haven’t done it before.

Good luck with the flight!

EGSC

We regularly cross the baltic sea on our trips south, mostly during the summer months. I wouldn’t do it in a t-shirt and shorts but I don’t wear survival suits and rafts either. I try to get as high as possible and would seriously consider a detour if it’s dark (a couple of years ago a DA40 went down during night, on it’s flight to the new owners).

I also fly for a non-profit organization, much like the CAP in the US. Some of the assignments include low level flight over the baltic (200ft), but during those flights we wear survival suits, PLB and rafts. We have also completed an UWE education. The rules prohibit these flights if the sea state is above 4 and also have a wind restriction.

Martin: FYI, I am noT sure what reg you fly and thus what ops rules you are under, but EASA ops (even NCO) will definitely require a raft if going more than 100 miles off shore.

This is why a fly a twin: Water, nights, mountains. For everything else, singles are fine.

boscomantico, quite right – but in this case we don’t have that far to shore, so it’s perfectly legal :)

Sign in to add your message