Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR charts - paper

Seems like I am among the last to ritually order my paper charts every April

For the OP, given you will fly rapidly across France, you can buy a 1/1 000 000 one (I know Cartabossy, Air Million) but an EFB app should be enough.
What I would not skip is checking AIP SUP and corresponding Notams. It can show significant changes that won’t be on the chart or in the EFB. On my last flight, I woke up early to do that and I was glad because I discovered 2 MIL training areas beginning that same day.
PROB90 you will fly without issues, but still YMMV.

Myself, I reverted back from SD to paper chart and manual check of AIP & notams. For my local-only flying, it works well.

LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

Seems like I am among the last to ritually order my paper charts every April

We buy one set of the 8 german paper charts, to hang it on the wall in the classroom

Germany

Best paper VFR Chart for planning (IT/SI/HR)

What’s the best paper VFR chart for planning for the area of ITaly/Slovenia/Croatia? Enroute!

AirMillion?
Rogersdata?
Any other vendors?

Thanks!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Free VFR charts for Europe may be relevant.

Also see “Threads possibly related to this one” below.

I’ve been watching this situation since 2000 and some trends are obvious. A lot of it is “cultural” e.g. bits of French airspace, as depicted on their VFR charts, are undecipherable, but their ATC clears you through (except for R and P areas) while UK charts are almost never unclear but UK ATC often doesn’t clear you and if you go in you get busted aggressively nowadays. And countries with little or no GA, or little GA “going distances”, (most of Europe) tend to have pretty useless charts because nobody uses them anyway.

France has those mentioned. I don’t think Spain ever had any usable Spanish ones. I tended to use the Jepp ones but they stopped in 2013.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not sure there are any good ones for those places.

Administrator

I bought Air Million charts when I planned cross-border trips in 2019. I liked them.
That said, I am not sure one can compare scientifically charts. It’s quite subjective IMO.

LFOU, France

Identical threads merged.

I think the best use of VFR charts nowadays is for a quick and dirty reference, or for presentations. And then fly with a current satnav app.

I have the CAA 1:500k chart on the wall in my “home office”

but the half life of my license would be measured in hours if not minutes if I actually flew with it. I would need to fly non-transponder, like 50% of UK GA

Administrator

VFR charts – electronic

I did a bit of a tidy-up of the VFR chart groups

I think the paper ones should go into the “vintage” section of EuroGA (there isn’t one)

Administrator
108 Posts
Sign in to add your message