Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Advice for a trip to LEMU/Muchamiel

Quite. See the context of the thread. I was referring only to the southwesterly corner of France. This only has four “bigger” airports (no use checking the small ones, as those all have some sort of PN requirement for customs or police): Bordeaux, Biarritz, Pau and Tarbes. And the latter three all do have some sort of PN requirement for customs/police.

Carcassonne also is “no PN”, but it is totally off-track already if he wants to circumnavigate the Pyrenees to the west.

From experience, I know that people tend to prefer places that don’t have this PN requirement. Making a short PN does sound like just a minor little thing to do, but in practice it can be a pain in France:

• who to send the PN to?
  • what information do they want to have? Which language? In many cases, unfortunately, they insist on a particular form to fill out.
  • Can I be sure all is good if no one replies?
  • do I have to seek them out once I land there? (Brits need passport stamps nowadays).
  • also any such PN is always something to keep in mind when the schedule changes, the POB change, etc.

It’s a pain flying non-Schengen to or from France, nowadays. Therefore, going all the way straight to San Sebastian does have its charm. When I go to the UK, I also tend to go direct from Germany nowadays and not make any stops in France.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Apr 14:34
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Brits need passport stamps nowadays

From the UK POV they do not, and since France has no law requiring to seek out police without a time limit (like e.g. Germany has) one can just go if they aren’t there. See various threads like here and here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From the UK POV they do not

Of course not. But from an EU point of view, of course.

Peter wrote:

since France has no law requiring to seek out police without a time limit (like e.g. Germany has) one can just go if they aren’t there. See various threads like here and here.

You mean just because there have been a few Euroa threads where this issue has been discussed, plus some ancedotal experience, you are sure this is the exact truth?

If you can find a French law saying that, please post it in that thread.

I know French police do like to assert that you must wait for them for ever (LFBH) but these are the same people who say the PN is 24hr when everything published says 48hr

The number of hits daily from France is probably 10k-100k. Normally, if someone posts something which winds somebody up, we soon get to hear about it

Administrator

It is possible that you should get your passport stamped.in France. I remember when the idea first came in. Nobody, including douaniers knew which passports should be stamped and which didn’t need it
On the other hand, if you were expected to wait for douaniers to turn up,I would have expected that to be made clear. Such as a notice on the door and a telephone number. Remember, they do have all your details such as passport numbers from the PN.
But that is just my 2 cts.

France

including douaniers knew which passports should be stamped and which didn’t need it

OTOH I made multiple FR <–> UK hops last year, and the don’t stamp my CH passport at Calais nor Le Touquet. AFAIK they only stamp the islanders

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I was also thinking about Nantes/LFRS as a potential stop (also for a trip I am doing to LESO in a few weeks). It looks like no Prior Notice would be required there
reading the AIP.

“Immigration: H24; Customs, Random, PN 2HR before ETA NANTES”

I don’t need Customs just a stamp in my passport to immigrate into the Schengen Area, right?

I also read you need to apply to the aero club to use one of their parking slots there or handling becomes expensive. How does it work? Do the douaniers come to the Aeroclub or do you go to track them down?

Last Edited by Ian66 at 13 Apr 09:16
EGKR, United Kingdom

I recall Nantes was a lot less than 24hrs last time I went that way.

Administrator

It’s H24, not 24h PN.

I don’t need Customs just a stamp in my passport to immigrate into the Schengen Area, right?

I wouldn‘t count on it. You are not only entering Schengen, but also the EU (thank Brexit).

OK, so probably safer to send them a mail with our details on. However, I can’t see their e-mail address in the airport information or VAC pack. Looking at other French airports one might assume

[email protected]

The above is a guess though. Is there info out there to validate this is correct?

EGKR, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message