Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lake Como

amazing

Poland

Guys,

Thanks for this advice.

For info, on May 12, we will have a nice Airshow with 20-25000 visitors, at LHFM (Skyview Airshow) and in the autumn at Szeged (LHUD), the Szeged Intl Airshow. (14-15 of Sept) If you have time, come and visit. I will be there; I will help if needed.

Both are really cool, and the place around is nice to visit. City of Sopron is a lovely place in Hungary, as well as Szeged. For those who come to Szeged Airshow the city pays the landing and overnight parking(s).
Zsolt

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

Hi Zsoszu, is there a specific reason why you are targeting Sondrio airport?
If you are planning to go to the southern part of lake Como, you could consider LIMB (Milano Bresso) as your destination, which is close to both Como and Lecco.
You can efficiently arrive IFR and cancel in the large Po valley, away from terrain, or if overcast you can fly the ILS at Linate (LIML) and proceed VFR to LIMB.
On the way back, LIMB will give you more chances to depart and not be stuck if weather is not good (unless you will be flexible with time): you can pick up IFR at 3000 feet from LIMB, while from Valtellina you probably need to climb to something like FL150 before picking up IFR, and if it’s overcast in the valley with mountain obscuration there’s no chance, and you can only try to go towards Milan VFR under the clouds, if reachable, and then pick up IFR there.

Not sure about your plans in terms of transport and services required, but Milano has also more facilities than Sondrio.

From a routing perspective to Sondrio, Tonale Pass is the way to Valtellina from Bolzano,
If that route is clogged by clouds you’ll have to get down to the Po valley through Garda Lake, and go back to Valtellina through Como Lake, a bit of a detour…
An alternative is to avoid Bolzano and fly through the valley from Innsbruck to Samedan and then continue through Maloja pass to Como Lake, and then into Valtellina.

EHLE LIMB, Netherlands

Thanks, actually, not. I would like to go to Lake Como for 3-4 days. I wanted to avoid the congested Milan Area, and the IFR route always wanted to take me via Austria from Italy due to traffic flow rules. Entering via DETSA needs FL150. Now I replanned, and as you mentioned, switching to VFR in the Milan area is a good solution. A few years ago (in the summer), I flew the route from Villach to the BZO area, and it was amazing. But in the summer, the WX is more favourable. This was wanted to be repeated and extended to Sondrio.

Zsolt Szüle
LHTL, Hungary

You can also land at LILY but it’s preferable in this case to have a seaplane…

ENVA, Norway
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message