Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bolzano LIPB - PPR / parking

There isn‘t really a generic thread for LIPB, so here we go.

Much as I expected, now that the slight apron modification works are finally terminated (after one full year!), the parking restriction / general PPR requirement has become permanent.

Here is a visual comparison once again. Old:

New:

If you look closely, you see that they have extended the hard apron („200“) to the north, sacrificing much of the grass apron („300“). The latter now only has 4 SEP positions remaining, Previously, it was more like 10.
Despite the increase in hard parking space, this is not really an improvement, because the grass parking used to be non-PPR, and a space was always found. The 200 apron has always been on a PPR basis.

Parking on grass still costs almost nothing (a few cents). If you park on apron 200, you are subject to „handling“ , which is 15 Euros per ton per day extra, so not totally outrageous. Anyway, from a first few reports I have, it seems they are not always so keen to give apron 200 positions to light GA aircraft. But we will have to see what the future brings. I guess it makes sense to write, when requesting PPR, that either grass parking (300) OR hard parking (300) would be acceptable.

Anyway, please post your PPR/parking experiences (as from 1st of March 2024) here.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 01 Mar 14:39
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Hi @boscomantico,
I am based there, so might be able to help here.
There are always some free spots available on the grass apron, and it is quite in good shape. PPR is required simply for the fact that there might not be enough space there. I talked to the ladies in the office, and they seem to be rather quick in answering PPR requests, and they are mostly positive :) So right now, there is no need to exclude LIPB from any travel plans. The bigger hard apron is also not fully parked, but indeed they leave now some of the Skyalps airplanes there…

With some miracle (and a shitload of money, to be honest) I was able to secure a spot in a Hangar there. Quite expensive, and still have to pay the parking fee (on top of the hangar cost), plus everytime one gets the aircraft from the hangar, or back into it, its another 25 bucks. I feel like the new owner want to make some profit out of the airport, and this might make it worse in the future.

One nice thing: Currently they are building a new train terminal, right in front of the airport entrance. Luckily the north-south line (connecting Bolzano to say, Trento) has always been there, so there will be in the near future a convenient way to connect to the town center or other areas of South Tyrol :)

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

Again, it‘s now only four spots remaining on the grass, so how can you say „there is always some free spots available“? It‘s a popular place…

And yes, the grass is always in good shape, I have never had an issue with it.

And yes, the office replies quickly. Still, not having to apply at all was better.

We will say how it goes this season.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

My last experience is not from March, but February this year. When I asked for one week parking at LIPB, I was offered a 1hr slot for arrival and a 1 hr slot for departure. Exact hours. This is OK for charter ops, but not for private pilots. I went to Trento LIDT instead. Trento is VFR and I needed to fly in two days earlier, as clouds were forecast on my arrival date. 9 days of skiing instead of 7. Oh no! Paid 126 Euros for 9 days of parking in Trento with 6 tons. I guess accepting grass may improve your chances at LIPB.

LPFR, Poland

boscomantico wrote:

We will say how it goes this season.

Indeed. I fear you are right, though – Bolzano might be on the way to “being lost” to GA…

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

I found Bolzano to be quite helpful and flexible, a few years ago.

It is a bit like Annecy; during the winter they try to shoe-lick the bizjet crowd (lots of money) but they are OK if you contact them beforehand. I would expect the problem to be less bad now that the Pootin lovers are limited to Iran, N Korea, and Montenegro

A video

Just remembered – there is some funny stuff after 09:00

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ok, just got this yesterday:

So the PPR and forbidden touch-and-go’s are going into the AIP…

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

boscomantico wrote:

Again, it‘s now only four spots remaining on the grass, so how can you say „there is always some free spots available“? It‘s a popular place…
I think the PPR requirement will manage this in a ‘natural’ way. Only those who really want to come to Bozen will ask for PPR. Most ‘spontaneous’ visitors will stay away.

The aeroclub might offer a parking spot on their apron as well. If you need fuel anyway, it’s easier to stay on their apron (as far as available space permits). Last year, PPR was granted in a very easy way like “just file your flight plan and come over” on the phone. They didn’t want to know any details.
Last Edited by Frans at 04 Mar 15:21
Switzerland
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message