Banner
Welcome to our forums

Euro Tour - April 2024

pilotrobbie wrote:

The current planned route is;

London (Stapleford) to Marseille for the first night -
Marseille to Calvi for lunch
Calvi to Olbia for dinner and stay for the night
Fly to Naples for the night (Stay in Sorrento)
Fly Skiathos for two nights
Fly to Split for two nights in Hvar beach
Fly to Vienna for the night
Fly to Karlsurhe for the night or back to the UK (Weather)
Fly to the UK

Hi Robbie,
Do you intend LFMM, LOWW ?
I would skip either Marseille or Calvi. Better see one destination than nothing of 2 destinations.
If I were you, I would make a customs/fuel stop somewhere in France (possibly LFMH) before heading to Calvi for the night.

In the same way, I would turn Karlsruhe into a customs/fuel stop and plan 2 nights in Austria.
Even with 2 nights, I would rather aim at Graz, Innsbruck or Salzburg instead of Vienna which alone is worth a trip.

LFOU, France

Following on my posting above about ’Flying Fatigue’ , the following article from PilotWorkshops dropped into my email box this morning:
“Research shows that after 17 hours awake, our cognitive and visual-motor skills are similar to someone with a blood alcohol level of .05—over the legal limit according to the FAA.
Just like alcohol, fatigue impacts attention, concentration, judgment, reaction time, communication skills, memory, problem-solving, and decision-making. All of these hit when we can least afford it: at the end of a long day of flying.
Because many symptoms of fatigue can mimic hypoxia or dehydration, we may think they will go away during descent or after drinking some water.
They won’t.
Good sleep hygiene is the best way to prevent fatigue. . .
Airline pilots have limits on the length of their duty day. GA pilots need to set our own.
Next time you are planning a long flight, make your total time awake at your projected landing time part of your preflight planning. Even if it’s inconvenient, revise the plan if you will be ‘flying under the influence’ by the time you land.”

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Hi All,

Sadly due to some extra unexpected financial pressures. This big trip may be delayed for a year.

I am now planning to go to Slovenia. I may setup a thread for that, but has anyone been? Particularly Lake Bled and flying over the Alps into Ljubljana. I know the Alps can be unforgiveable, looking at Karlsruhe for a tech stop and maybe somewhere else on the way back.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Lesce Bled is really nice. A busy glider and PJE airfield. Short taxi to town, good restaurant on the field.
(After 24hrs you have seen everything there is, though)
You could approach Klagenfurt in Austria and cross the ridge to Lesce at NIPEL or do the same on the Slovenian side via Lubljana.
Klagenfurt is a nice city, too. No experience in Lubljana.

Last Edited by ch.ess at 09 Feb 22:01
EDM_, Germany

Ljubljana is really lovely city but it’s kind of far from airport (25 km) and you can expect around €40 for the taxi.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I did see that Lake Bled isn’t far by public transport (Train). So would probably just leave the aircraft in Ljubljana.

ch.ess wrote:

You could approach Klagenfurt in Austria and cross the ridge to Lesce at NIPEL or do the same on the Slovenian side via Lubljana.

Are we talking VFR here? If I went FL150, I see that the mountains are very high around this routing? (IFR)

GAGSI Y712 LBU L173 RIXED Y161 MAH L173 OTT M867 RADIZ DCT LUMUS

I presume if hardly any wind, it would be okay, the alternatives are Lyon/Grenoble or Avignon then across Italy? Going via Wien seems long…

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

A few years back I flew across the alps VFR from Vilshofen to Pula and crossed pretty much direct at FL100 with plenty of space beneath me, routing via Villach (NIPEL), I saw Lake Bled beneath me and regretted not descending to stop and look around, especially after the views from Grand Tour’s “Euro Crash” but this year I intend to stop there…..

EDL*, Germany
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message