Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Michael O'Leary on NATS staff shortages

There is a lot wrong with the corporate culture in NATS and the CAA. Anybody who visits these institutions and who has business experience will see this right away.

But nobody can change this because nobody who might be able to understands aviation, so the “safety card” is easily waved and the “challenger” is forced to back off.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It seems like Peter and the RyanAir boss need to get together to talk about the “revolving door” :-) Here’s O’Leary’s opinion of NATS, and he doesn’t sound pleased!

[ post moved to existing thread ]

Andreas IOM

One can dislike the man’s management style or not, but you can’t argue his business success and his company’s comparatively honest YGWYPF. service.

As far as I am concerned, if O’Leary were paid 500k, vs the quoted 1M, it would be 499k too many if he did as terrible a job as the NATS management. Any issues with RYR are however totally unrelated to the Grp CEO’s salary. I would not be so sure about NATS. “Commanders of the British Empire” might raise some sensitivities but surely expresses a plausible view of the NATS management situation.

And, yes, other than the f-wording I like most of what he said in that video. Other than his very personal views of Martin Rolfe, O’Leary did substantiate most of his views with publicly available data.

O’Leary is personally responsible for the biggest ever change in airline travel in Europe effectively bringing air transport to the masses and doing away with most, but not all, “Commanders of the National Empire” in the traditional airline industry. I wish we could find a happy medium.

Today’s European airline travel, well beyond RYR, would not be the same without him having made RYR what it is.
Europe (UK included) as we know it today, as a society, would not be the same without today’s European airline travel.

As much as I dislike travelling in that way, one cannot deny its positive effects on the economy and society.

As one wealthy friend of mine once said: “travelling like that should not be allowed” . To which his more caring wife answered " the rest of the people also have a right to go places"

One must admit the “going places” thingy tends to open people’s minds , and that alone, arguably, is worth most, if not all, of the cost.

One must also admit the elegantness and veracity of the sentence " French ATC is very good when it is not on strike"

@Peter, why is this post #01 after 353353 ?

Last Edited by Antonio at 10 Oct 21:18
Antonio
LESB, Spain

It is what happens when posts get moved from one thread to another. Then, and also when threads are merged, the posts end up in the correct chronological order, but the numbering within the destination thread gets broken.

Note also this.

Administrator

Can people please refrain from using the 4 letter words? There is no need for it, it lowers our forum to the gutter and it carries no informational value

Last post above deleted – 4 instances.

Administrator

One of my Swedish friends is flying for RYR. He got his promotion to capt last year and even before that he was quite happy working there. He claims he makes better money that colleagues from other airlines.

EKRK, Denmark

And now, NATS wants to increase cost for airlines. Great timing after such a PR disaster. Not.

https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/europes-atc-charges-on-the-increase-airlines-pushing-back/

EHLE, Netherlands
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message