Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

In praise of Midden Zeeland EHMZ

Just back from a long drag down to Budapest and back in the Warrior. Boy, was it hot!

Coming home, usual debate about where to get passports stamped. Oostende stories about fines etc.. Anywhere in France concerns about notice etc.. Haven’t been to Midden Zeeland EHMZ for 20 years or so, and had memories of a wet field with a Portakabin. How fickle memories are!

So I called them up. “of course! They say. Minimum notice for Police is 1-2 Hrs, 2 Hrs is better.” Customs were also present but not interested in us. The Dutch Gendec.eu (this is the one that the Police want) was broken with a database error but this wasn’t a problem either. They do have their own Gendec form which is on the website but can be filled out in person.

Just like old times except that the place is completely modernised with superb cafe, hotel on site and even car hire. Really friendly ATC. 100 LL on credit card. Even avoids the atrocious Belgian airspace with a no-quibble routing (VFR) via Eindhoven from Koblenz.

They are very confident of retaining international status although they are on the list along with Texel to have immigration service withdrawn. They say they won’t let that happen. Go Midden Zeeland!

Bizzarely on parking and before even leaving the plane the phone rang. It was UKBF asking if everything was OK? That’s it – no other questions. Have they got CCTV? Or FR24? More likely FPL close message I suppose. Obviously beats driving to the airport.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

I will join in with Deep praise for Midden Zeeland.
We’ve been spending time in Holland so dropped in by road to look around.
We had originally intended to return to Holland by GA into Rotterdam, but after such a warm and friendly welcome from the team operating the airfield, and seeing the quality restaurant, we decided to use them as our point of entry/exit.

We’ve been in and out several times recently.
Customs/immigration has been slick, (we use Gendec.eu) but they really prefer it if you print out of the details and hand them a copy. Have been asked every time.
The grass is super smooth and well maintained.
They have been a breath of fresh-air in an all too grumpy GA scene.

Just brief the noise abatement areas and the circuit join from their website.

United Kingdom

Same here – been there 3 times in the last few weeks, and it’s a good place. They even have mogas for a decent price. I’ve never left the airport, but it’s clear there are lots of interesting things to do in the area, and it’s close to the beaches.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Aveling wrote:

Oostende stories about fines etc

I am with you on Midden Zeeland, great place, very welcoming and good for immigration to/from the UK.

Whats this you say about Ostend “stories about fines etc”, where did that come from?

Maybe you meant Antwerp which does have a bit of a reputation?

I have flown to Ostend hundreds of times from the UK and have had nothing but smiles and excellent service, and no notice for immigration as they are based there, one of the few places left that you can just turn up from the UK or anywhere else with no PPR, (just send the Belgian Gendec in advance).

United Kingdom

GA_Pete wrote:

The grass is super smooth and well maintained.

Hi, this sounds like a very interesting and useful airfield for us UK pilots. Could you give us any more detail on the RWY quality. I wouldm like to use it in my Jetprop. Does it look like it is cut regularly, ie less than 3 cm long. Is it rolled etc.

Thanks

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Echoing the positive comments above
Been there only once (and surprise surprise, met @eurogaguest1980 there too), and the experience was very positive.
ATS was very firm with a coast guard chopper trying to bypass the published pattern, the grass is short and the runway super long, very friendly help to refuel (finally some Mogas) and service.

The only minor gripe was the early closing (IIRV around 22:00lt) of the restaurant, no big deal if in the known.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Buckerfan wrote:

I wouldm like to use it in my Jetprop.

Have been there 3 times this year in my Jetprop, ditto Texel, but you need to make your own judgement, for me the runway was good

Any grass runway will deteriorate a bit if the airfield is popular. No way around that.
Additionally the wx has been all over the place this year, so no chance for it to deeply dry out.
Despite this, it is still in good condition, and clearly receives good care.
My criteria is that it be smooth.
I hate doing a nice touchdown to then hear the punishment of the airframe commence, and see the panel start passing up and down in front of me.

This is when you learn not to trust renters that tell you it’s great (based on them not paying repair bills, and being desensitised because they do that shit all the time.)
Tarmac for me unless I Know it’s smooth.
If I owned a JP I’d go there, but may look for it to have been dry for a couple of days preceding.

United Kingdom
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message